2.0.102 Cant start Glasswire Service

Im getting real tired of typing up the same thing update after update.
Installed over 2.0.80
After installation when GW starts, you get the UI, says attempting to connect 3 times then cant start GW service. In services the status of GW is Starting
Did not do and will not do a clean install.
So I rebooted thinking thats what it needed and same thing except also it killed my internet connection to that PC.
Same issue I had with 2.0.84, had to go into safe mode in order to uninstall, after uninstalling and rebooting internet came back.
Really frustrated and even more disappointed in what used to be a solid piece of software.

@Anjoland

Sorry if I asked this elsewhere in the forum, but can you share what other software you have on that PC? Perhaps it will help us find the cause.

Also the OS version will help us.

Win 7 64bit
Im not sure if I understand the “what other software you have on that PC that has this problem” question. No other SW on my system does what GW does. Anything else Ive installed, installs fine, can be uninstalled the normal way and doesnt kill my internet on that PC when it doesnt work.
Security SW is Malwarebytes AntiMalware/AntiExploit, MS Security Essentials.

@Anjoland

Sorry, my question had a typo. I updated it above.

I see you use Malwarebytes and it should not cause any problems with GlassWire, and neither should MS Security Essentials.

Also I have no problem installing version 2.0.80, just reinstalled it back on the PC that I am having issues on with every version after it.

@Anjoland

Could you email us some logs? It will help us diagnose the problem.
https://www.glasswire.com/contact/

• Stop the GlassWire service;
  • Copy log.conf to C:\ProgramData\GlassWire\service
  • Start the GlassWire service and reproduce the problem
  • Send us the logs from C:\ProgramData\GlassWire\service\log

Log.conf should be a notepad file called exactly “log.conf” with these two lines only:
log_path=c:\programdata\glasswire\service\log
log_level_file=-1

Youre asking me to reinstall a piece of software that kills my internet on that pc and that cant be uninstalled through normal means for a log file.
But I dont understand your instructions. The title of my topic is Cant start Glasswire service and the first instruction is Stop the glasswire service. The gw service is stuck on Starting, I cant start or stop it.

@Anjoland

Some other options:

1. Can you try running Windows Update on this PC/Server and see if it helps?

2. Can you uninstall GlassWire, reboot, then go to your “Windows Firewall” control panel and choose “restore defaults”, then reboot.

3. Now install our latest version using the “clean” install option checked in our installer, along with the “reset firewall” option checked.

Did it solve the problem or no?

two PC’s that i have this problem with

Windows 10 Pro version 1709 / Windows 10 Pro version 1803 (windows Insider)

Both are encrypted with Bitlocker, just got a few apps that iam using on both
like the mouse and keyboard sharing app “Mouse without Boarders”

for me it seems something todo with the log/database, since it always works after a clean install
then ater some time of data collecting and reboots the problem seems to come back.

(i got limited time to test this proper)

@Krizzy Could you email us some logs? It will help us diagnose the problem.
https://www.glasswire.com/contact/

Stop the GlassWire service;
Copy log.conf to C:\ProgramData\GlassWire\service
Start the GlassWire service and reproduce the problem
Send us the logs from C:\ProgramData\GlassWire\service\log

Log.conf should be a notepad file called exactly “log.conf” with these two lines only:
log_level_file=-1

Same problem here too. In every restart of the PC is not activated, nor can I do it from the application or from Windows services. However if I do right button and I give “close”, then rerun the program and starts correctly

Edited:

A completely clean installation seems to work:

Uninstall from Windows Panel
Restart
Delete Program Data and User-Appdata-Local folders

Install, re-enter the license in my case and restart again and Glass Wire works well

Some people have been kind enough to send us logs and we think we have found this problem. An update will be out in a few days, thank you.

If you have this problem but have not sent us logs yet, please do so.

i am having same problem.

i have attached snip of problem
I tried uninstalling and reinstalling with " clean install and restore firewall" options. But didnt work

@Mihir_Patil

If you go to the top left GlassWire menu and choose “About” what version of GlassWire do you have?

It is latest version i downloaded it yesterday only. 2.0.112

@Mihir_Patil

With GlassWire 2.0 we changed our database format. Usually this problem is due to your database being corrupted somehow from the 1.0 to 2.0 upgrade during our reformatting process.

If you do a clean install of GlassWire (check the clean install option with our installer after uninstalling GlassWire and rebooting) does it solve it?

Don’t mean to Hijack the Thread, but I am having the Same problem. It only does it on my Main Workstation. My Server and Laptop are fine. If I re-install Glasswire it works fine until the first reboot, and thereafter it won’t run again, the message is “The Glasswire Service stopped running. Restart Glasswire”. But if I look under services I see “Glasswire Control Service” and it is running. If I restart the Service it makes no difference and the GW Icon in the system tray stays greyed out.

My System is as Follows: Windows 10 Pro N 64 1803 Build 17134.345
Avast Business Antivirus and Windows Defender Glasswire 2.0.123

EDIT: Log folder is empty ??

Dan,

Did you set up the logs like this? You said your log folder is empty, but please try a second time. Perhaps a step was missed?

@Falcon

I am sorry you are having an issue starting the GlassWire service and I’m sorry if you feel I’m blaming someone because that is not what I intended. Saying GlassWire is a poorly designed piece of software because another person had the same issue as you is not a fair thing to say in my opinion.

Above in this thread there are instructions on how to collect logs, then send them to us. We can then see the cause of why your service is not starting and assist you. Please do that if possible.

log_level_file=-1

The link above linked to the thread with the instructions.

When you try to start the GlassWire service and it fails, it should still create a log file with a reason for why the service will not start.