App seems to have reset itself

Greetings,
Longtime user, first time poster - GW has been on this PC for about 4 months (installed fresh on clean Win10 x64 OS install at same time). Running Version 2.1.167 licensed Elite.

No problems basically ever until today - came back from lunch, booted the computer up, and the first thing I notice is the little Windows Internet Connectivity icon in the task bar is telling me I have no Internet.

Start troubleshot the network, rule it out as only this PC is having issues. I could ping local (eg my router) and Internet (eg 8.8.8.8) resources by IP only - no DNS across the board in any app. Eventually concluded that as long as GW was running with Firewall enabled (Ask to Connect mode normally), DNS resolution was failing. Disable the firewall in GW and everything starts working. So, even though FireFox was not blocked in GW, for example, it was still unable to resolve DNS - same for all apps.

Interestingly GW then starts popping up ‘first time connecting’ messages for basically every installed app regardless if it had been approved/denied before, but still would not allow DNS resolution even when unblocked.

So I went through the list to unblock everything and now I can resolve DNS with GW running as expected. I do still see a ton of GW related rules in the Windows Firewall for whatever reason.

Questions are:

• Any idea how this happened, more importantly can I possibly revert to my old settings without setting everything up again?

• Is anyone aware of any particular executable in Windows that, if blocked, would prevent DNS resolution like I describe? It seems very strange such a thing would exist but it’s Microsoft so why not.

• If not, should I clear out the Windows Firewall of GW rules before I start setting things back up in GW? or perhaps just do a totally fresh GW install?

Thanks in advance.

@brodie7838

Very weird! Do you use any other firewall software or did you do anything else network related when this happened?

Due to current issues in the world there are a lot of overwhelmed networks right now. Are you sure it wasn’t a temporary network issue related to an outage?

I don’t know of any DNS app that could be blocked that could cause this. Do you have any unusual VPN/Security/DNS software?

If you’re sure this is related to GlassWire I’d remove any other firewall software you might have first, then do this:

1. Go to add/remove programs and uninstall GlassWire.
  2. Go to the Windows Firewall control panel and choose “restore defaults”.
  3. Reboot.
  4. Reinstall GlassWire with “clean install” and “reset firewall” checked.

We use the Windows Firewall API so fortunately it’s rare to have connectivity issues with GlassWire, and fortunately any issues can be fixed quickly. Since we use such a reliable API that’s part of Windows I’m not sure how this could happen. If you figure out what happened please let me know.

Thanks for your patience and sorry for the issue.

Hi, thanks for your response.

No other firewall software; I use GlassWire exclusively and very rarely do anything inside Windows Firewall directly. No other changes either; I was using the PC all morning to browse and email, shut down for lunch, came back and turned it on to find all of this.

I can definitely say with confidence it wasn’t a network issue; it was the first thing I checked and was able to console to my router to verify WAN connectivity, had a Roku streaming Disney+, and checked from a different PC as well. The whole time I could also ping 8.8.8.8 (Google), or 208.67.222.222 (OpenDNS) from the affected PC which is a sure sign of connectivity, I just couldn’t ping “google(dot)com”, etc. The behavior of disabling Glasswire to regain connectivity was very consistent and repeatable.

Also nope to your last question; no VPNs, security software, or special DNS stuff - computer gets DHCP and uses the router’s local DNS just like most networks.

Who knows. I’ll just follow your instructions to reset the firewall and re-install, I’m sure that will fix everything. Do I need to “De activate license” prior to the re-install?

Thanks again

Hi brodie7838

No need to “De activate license” Your license will remain with a clean install.