Ask To Connect blocks files

I have for some time now observed that some programs just show up in the firewall tab as blocked. Those are programs that I would never, ever, block, among regular software that’s just a double entry (probably for different file versions). I am now 100% sure that I did not, in fact, ever choose to block some of these programs that somehow end up being blocked by Glasswire.

I am using Ask To Connect in Glasswire Elite. Am I missing something here? It seems to me that something is causing GW to randomly block programs. I noticed this in the previous version as well as on first startup of 2.0.105.

@silunare

Did the apps show up blocked after a reboot? It’s rare, but sometimes there is a short time period during boot up where the GlassWire app is not launched yet, but our control service is still running. In that time period if something tries to connect unexpectedly we block it.

There was also a bug introduced by one of our first 2.0 releases that could cause something like this. To fix it you’ll have to do the following steps below which will clear your history/settings.

If your history/settings are important you can back them up here: https://www.glasswire.com/userguide/#Backup_Settings

• Go to add/remove programs and uninstall GlassWire.

• Go to the Windows Firewall control panel and choose “restore defaults”.

• Reboot

• Now reinstall GlassWire using its “clean” install option along with its “reset firewall” option.

Some of those blocked programs are not scheduled to run at boot, but only when I invoke them manually. I will try a reboot next time I see this happening.

Would that bug that you speak of go on to block new programs again and again, different ones each time? Or is that more of a one-time problem? Cause I keep getting new entries, it’s not just a one-time thing. (And I would prefer to avoid resetting the configs, so I ask to be sure.)

@silunare

I think it was an overall bug with our blocking, but I can’t remember exactly what would go wrong. For me when I see things are blocked while in “Ask to connect” it’s because it tried to connect on startup.

I’ve noticed this happening when playing new games. Even with Ask to Connect set, it never asks. They’re not shown as blocked, either. I have to turn the firewall off through the GUI, then restart the game, and then turn the firewall back on. After that it’s fine. It’s very odd behavior. I’d recommend looking at how Agnitum Outpost Firewall Pro did it.

@Tarun

Did you try these steps?

• Reboot

• Now reinstall GlassWire using its “clean” install option along with its “reset firewall” option.

@Ken_GlassWire I have not recently but when 2.0 came out I did a clean slate.

1 Like

@Tarun

When you did a clean install, did you also choose GlassWire’s “reset firewall” option, or just our “clean install” option?

@Ken_GlassWire I tried both of those options when I did a clean slate. They did not work (I wanted to remove my key to install 2.0 in a fully clean way) and what I had to do was manually delete the config files myself and then use the reset options in the installer.

We purposely leave the key intact when doing a clean install or firewall reset. The key should not cause any problems with that process. You can go to the top left GlassWire menu and choose “deactivate” if you want to use your key on another PC.

If you’re still having problems I recommend starting over one more time if possible?

• Reboot

Thanks for your patience. Taking the steps above should solve the problem.

@Ken_GlassWire Then that is not truly a clean install, which is misleading. A clean install should properly remove everything, no exceptions. Deactivation did not remove the key or revert it to normal mode at all. I had to remove the config files before I was able to get a true clean slate.

My only real issue is how games are blocked yet the firewall doesn’t reflect this. Agnitum Outpost Firewall Pro offered an “Entertainment Mode”. What it would do is continue background protection without interrupting the full-screen application with alerts.

When I have the time I may try another clean install.

@Tarun

Go to the top left GlassWire menu to turn on “Snooze” mode. Our user guide is here https://www.glasswire.com/userguide/.

@Ken_GlassWire Sounds like an “Auto-Snooze when Fullscreen” would be a nice option.