Cannot Delete Apps from Firewall List

Hello,

GlassWire 1.0.40b

1. When connect to different networks, GlassWire prompts for new app connection on different network and creates duplicate firewall list entries.

2. Cannot delete apps or duplicate entries from Firewall list (deleting history does not remove).

3. Uninstalling apps does not delete app entry in Firewall list; entry remains in list and cannot be deleted.

4. No means to search Firewall list.

5. No means to re-order Firewall list.

May I ask what Windows version you are using? Nobody has ever reported this before.

Do you use any other third party firewall apps that could be conflicting with GlassWire?

Hello Ken,

Windows 8.1 x86-64 (OEM) Toshiba
AMD A8-6410

No 3rd-party firewall apps; Windows Defender + WFwAS + GlassWire.

Items 4 & 5 just suggestions.

Best Regards.

We haven’t seen this before. I’ll ask the dev team and see if they have some ideas how this could happen.

Duplicated applications must be running from different folders. Since GlassWire is differing the applications by the executable file path this appears to be a duplicates problem. For example, if I run skype as c:\program files\skype\skype.exe and then I also run skype as c:\skype\skype.exe, there will be two skype applications listed in the GlassWire firewall tab.

I was about to post up a question related to this, particularly the OP’s item 3: Uninstalling apps does not delete app entry in Firewall list; entry remains in list and cannot be deleted.

I have GW running on a test system where I install, test and uninstall apps on a routine basis. Clearly 3/4 of all the items under the Firewall tab are no longer on the system. Understandably, GW is still in beta - a means to remove apps is needed. If the method exists, it’s just not jumping out at us.

On my primary system, there are two uninstalled apps in there now I’d like to remove just to get them the heck out of there. :slight_smile:

Both systems, Win7x64.

Cheers.

Currently it should allow you to remove the apps in the firewall list if you clear the history under your settings, then uninstall/reinstall. We’ll add an easier way to remove unused apps in the future. Thanks for your feedback.

I have a couple of the same issues the OP mentions. I have firewall items for apps that don’t exist and/or have been uninstalled, and no way to removed them from GlassWire. One such entry is from a temporary setup application.

I checked Windows Firewall itself, and found firewall rules for some of these apps, and deleted those rules from WF. This had no effect on GlassWire though; it still shows firewall items for those nonexistent apps.

Clearing GlassWire’s history doesn’t do anything, and the “hide” function for a firewall item doesn’t seem to do anything, either (on the Firewall tab itself).

I hope this is improved upon soon…

Our next update moves inactivate apps to a separate menu so they are no longer in your way. We hope to have the update out this week.

Looking forward to it. Thanks!

I assumed GW checked for updates automatically. I assumed this because it seems every app these days does, even freeware. So like an idiot, I waited for GW to tell me when this update was available. It never did. And now I see it’s available. I’m sure update checking is on your “list.”

We haven’t alerted users to upgrade yet, but we hope to send out the upgrade notice early next week.

I’ve got the new version, but as far as I’m concerned there is not that much of an improvement. I don’t understand why the developers are so unwilling to make the list the normal type of list in Windows programs, with each column sortable on clicking its header, and each entry or group of them removable simply by selecting it and then pressing Delete (with a prompt, of course). My patience is running out with this unwillingness to make the most obviously required changes to the program. So far I still see no benefit (for myself, that is) for having got the Basic paid-up version in place of the Free version.

Sorry I can’t be more encouraging at the moment. GW will have to change much more radically to justify my using it as my Windows Firewall front end, when I have the currently much superior Windows Firewall Control fulfilling that function.

2 Likes