CCleaner and the de-activation of GlassWire

I’m interested in this theory that CCleaner can de-activate GlassWire. CCleaner is always one of the main things blamed for the de-activation of GlassWire by the GlassWire staff here on the forum.

@Ken_GlassWire

On a Windows 10 computer running the current version of GlassWire, please run a fresh, uncustomized (i.e. no exclusions manually added) instance of the latest version of CCleaner.

After running a cleanup with CCleaner, right click on the results and choose ‘View detailed results’ where it will show you the exact files that it deleted. Post a screenshot showing the GlassWire files from a non-temporary folder that CCleaner deleted that it shouldn’t have deleted.

If there’s a non-temporary location that CCleaner is touching, that is a bug. Have you reported the problem to Piriform (the developers of CCleaner)?

Anyway, I’m interested to see the screenshot clearly showing the GlassWire non-temporary files that CCleaner is deleting. If you’re unable to post such a screenshot, then I think we can all assume that there is no such bug in CCleaner and it is not responsible for the de-activation it’s being blamed for.

I’m not saying you’re being untruthful, just that I have never seen any evidence myself that CCleaner erroneously deletes GlassWire’s files. If the problem exists only with some older version of CCleaner, then the advice to people should be to upgrade to the latest version of CCleaer. Anyway, I await your screenshot so that the matter can be taken further with Piriform, in the interests that the true reason for de-activation can be identified.

@harkonnen

I just searched the forum for “ccleaner” and found one mention that I posted and it said this:

“Do you use any cleaning software like CCleaner that could be deleting our files accidentally?”

If I posted this somewhere else please give me the link.

CCleaner is great software and we are a fan. I just changed that old post where it does not mention CCleaner anymore. If there is another post here where we mentioned CCleaner let me know the URL and I will delete the name.

@Ken_GlassWire

You’re joking, right? Just yesterday, you posted “cleaning software like CCleaner that can delete our files”.

I see you’ve just updated that post, while I was writing this reply, to remove the evidence.

I’ve seen this brought up a number of times. It’s also the go-to reply when emailing you.

Don’t try to hide now and say you never blame CCleaner. It’s your standard response anytime anyone mentions de-activation.

Why don’t you try to identify the real reason, rather than blaming other products? Anyway, I’m still looking forward to your screenshot, to support what you’ve always said up till now. I suspect you will not be able to provide one.

Furthermore, the other standard response to most things people ask - “do a clean installation” - is ridiculous too. GlassWire can’t look after its own files and gets itself into such a confused state, that the only solution is to delete all the configuration data that it itself has created and start from scratch?

@harkonnen

I found the single post I made yesterday that said “Do you use any cleaning software like CCleaner that could be deleting our files accidentally?”. That is the only thing we have written about CCleaner and I stand by that language 100%.

Please note there are many other cleaning applications out there, not just CCleaner. CCleaner is an excellent product. If it sounded to you like I was saying something negative about CCleaner I apologize to you and them.

The main reason people have activation code problems with GlassWire is because they share their code with someone and the code is then posted online and used by many different people.

@harkonnen

I just saw your second post above that you posted before I finished my latest post.

I’m sorry if there is something we did to make you think we are dishonest. If you are unhappy please email us https://www.glasswire.com/contact/ so we can help you.

We have always tried to be transparent and take all our user feedback seriously and if we failed you I apologize.

About your comment about how GlassWire “gets itself into such a confused state” and how asking users to do a clean installation is ridiculous, I disagree.

Even Windows Defender can have problem with the Windows 10 Creators update, along with other parts of Windows https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/windows-creators-update-problems-fixes/, so it’s not just us. This is just one example article but feel free to Google “Windows 10 Creators update problems” and you’ll see it’s not uncommon to have a problem with a major Windows update.

I myself updated to the Windows 10 Creators update and it caused several of my applications to have problems including GlassWire. I then did a clean install of GlassWire and the other applications and it solved my problems. I have no idea why it happened, and maybe it is our fault and if that’s the case I am sorry. We will see if there are more ways to test with major Windows updates so this problem won’t happen in the future.

Our development team was unable to reproduce the problem I had and they did not experience the problem themselves.

@Ken_GlassWire

Come on, that is a non-sequitur. GlassWire is not an operating system. It should be storing all its configuration in its own folders and not have those configuration files affected by an update of the operating system. Deactivations of GlassWire happen independently of Windows 10 upgrades anyway. As an example, in the previous matter affecting me where GlassWire deactivated (fortunately it hasn’t happened again yet), even though I’d said that the initial installation was on the Creators Update, i.e. I had not updated Windows 10 since installing GlassWire, I was still initially asked to do a “clean” installation.

A Clean install to wipe out everything should be a last resort. Not the first thing that’s mentioned whenever someone deactivates. Otherwise how will you ever find the real reason?