Clicking tray icon does nothing

I have been using GW for a while now and just today started having an issue. When left or right clicking the tray icon, the no menu come up and the window does not open. I installed the program Fences earlier today and have since removed it as a troubleshooting step. I think it worked for a little bit after that but is since back to not working. I have tried rebooting and restarting explorer, as well as reinstalling GW.

Please uninstall GlassWire, reboot, then reinstall our latest version with the “clean” option.

I looked up Fences and it appears to make changes to your shortcuts, so perhaps it’s related to the problem. I have not seen this problem reported before with GlassWire alone.

I tried that before and again just now. I uninstalled Fences again and a couple recently installed programs that I had before this issue started. The issue persists, but I noticed that it does not happen when booted into safe mode. Any idea how to narrow it down from there?

1 Like

This problem may be unrelated to Fences because I have the same problem. Clicking the tray icon - left- or right-click

• does nothing. I don’t use Fences.

I fixed the problem by running the GlassWire program and choosing Exit from the GlassWire menu. The tray icon disappears so I then ran GlassWire again and the problem is gone.

GlassWire 1.2.76
Windows 10 1607 64-bit

@Remah

Strange. Did this happen only after a GlassWire upgrade, or has it happened again?

I only noticed this because I saw the report from @numanair and checked my tray icon.

I normally only use the tray icon menu to clear the alert message count which doesn’t clear when I clear the alerts. This is the unresolved problem in the following topic when I have tray notifications turned off:

Got the exact same issue.

I had been using v1.2.71(b) before for a while with zero issues, but ever since I installed v1.2.76, I’ve been unable to click on the tray icon in any way when I boot my computer. Killing the process and reopening Glasswire makes it work again though.

1 Like

@ContractorHei and others…

What OS versions are you using (if you did not already post it) and what versions of GlassWire? Thanks!

I’m on Windows 10 with GW 1.2.76

Our dev team has some questions for @numanair @ContractorHei @Remah.

1. What tab is selected in GlassWire (Graph, Network, Usage etc) when this problem happens?

2. Is GlassWire minimized to the tray or taskbar or is it open on the screen when you have this issue?

3. Does the GlassWire window appear with a left button click on the tray icon?

Thanks!

1. No tab is selected because the UI was not run since system reboot.
  2. GlassWire application has not been run. Only the services are running.
  3. Left-click and right-click don’t work. I had to run the application from the Windows Start menu.

@Remah

Do you mean the GlassWire user interface is not started, but you still see GlassWire running in the task manager, or are you talking about the bottom right tray?

Yes to both.

GlassWire services (GWCtlSrv.exe, GWIdlMon.exe) start automatically when Windows starts.so the icon appears in the system tray/notification area when I log in.

The main UI/user application does not start automatically (GlassWire.exe) so the problem occurred without me interacting with GlassWire.

1 Like

Hi. Unfortunately the issue hasn’t occurred for the past few days. Before that, every time I wanted to open up the application from the tray, I couldn’t. Might be some race-condition.

I’ll post when it occurs again and hopefully I can find out why.

Probably useless now, but fwiw:

1. Alerts for me when it happened
  2. Starts up minimized to the tray with Windows
  3. It didn’t. Right-click did nothing either

All on Windows 10 1607 v14393.477

1 Like

I just rebooted from installing updates and it did not occur.

1 Like

I am having the same difficulties and nothing I do seems to resolve the issue; I reinstalled over the top (still have issues) and really have no desire to uninstall and clean install and go through setting up new rules again so avoiding this at the moment… this has occurred to me in the past and I can’t recall how it was resolved. Really frustrating.

Can’t think of any new apps that have been installed of late that may have contributed to this - the only update was the Microsoft OS updates from last week. Really look forward to this being resolved.

1 Like

Thanks @nick. We will keep trying to recreate this. Can you answer the questions I posted above?

What tab is selected in GlassWire (Graph, Network, Usage etc) when this problem happens?

Is GlassWire minimized to the tray or taskbar or is it open on the screen when you have this issue?

Does the GlassWire window appear with a left button click on the tray icon?

Hello Ken,

It’s difficult to establish the tab that was last selected as you can’t open the GUI to establish this… it normally opens in the graph view by default I think.

Yes Glasswire is minimized to the system tray; once thing I have noticed is when you try and open the GUI it does then appear in the taskbar but you can not see the actual GUI - interestingly when I select the “show all apps” hotkey I can then see the GUI in a small format so can see it’s running but when selecting it there is nothing displayed.

When right-clicking on the Glasswire icon in the system tray I can indeed see the list of options but still unable to bring up the display with left-click.

I have re-installed with clean option and it has resolved the issues for now but history tells me it will re-occur… challenge is what’s making this happen. I will report back when/if it happens again and happy to answer any further q’s that you may have.

NB.

I rebooted to install Windows updates last night and this issue has returned. Glasswire also updated it appears.

@numanair

Please uninstall GlassWire, reboot, then reinstall our latest version with the “clean” option. It sounds like maybe some files of ours were corrupted on your OS install.