Compatibility with other protection

Hello,

Glasswire that is compatible with other security solution? (antivirus + firewall)?

J.RESINE

Go to the “Alerts” tab and click on an application name there. You will see a window that says “virus scan”. This scan accesses your antivirus tool, so yes it is compatible. GlassWire is not an antivirus by itself.
Our firewall manager works with the Windows firewall but we haven’t made it work with any other third party software. I don’t think any other companies allow that ability for security reasons but if you know some that do please let us know so we can investigate it.

Good evening, I understand. What I wanted to know if the system may be unstable if I use another firewall with yours?

J.resine

Our Firewall manages the Windows OS firewall, so if you use another firewall with the OS then it should be OK theoretically but please keep in mind our software is still in beta and we have not tested with many third party firewalls.

Unfortunately, Ken, that isn’t really correct. To my understanding most third party firewall / internet security programs insist on or at least advise for Windows firewall to be turned off because of likely or indeed inevitable conflicts between two programs both filtering Net traffic and blocking selected items. If GlassWire is to have a really effective and widely usable firewall facility it would need to be independent of Windows Firewall, and work in such a way as not to conflict with the third party firewalls as the Windows version would.

Philip

Unfortunately I haven’t tested with many third party firewalls but maybe some other people who have used some can give details about what happened with GlassWire’s Firewall tab.

I use Windows Firewall and have a hardware firewall appliance that everything on our home network goes through. I had been told in the past to keep Windows Firewall off because it would conflict with the appliance. But more recently, upon researching it for a related problem, I found that it’s now recommended to enable the Windows firewall too. What may have been conflicting in the past, apparently no longer does.

So I use both, and in the Firewall tab on my PC I see everything perfectly for my machine. I’m not super techy (despite my Twitter username) so I hope that helps someone :blush:

1 Like

Greetings PhilipGoddard, you stated that most bolt-on firewall solutions advise you to disable the Windows Firewall. This is only because of problems associated with port forwarding/triggering/NAT and the like. One thing we must keep in mind is these programs do not communicate with each other. The firewall chain is simply a ruleset for TCP/IP. Think of it like it is a compiler for software. In fact, think of it as sanitizing your network input/output. Running it through the firewall two, three, or even seventy three times will not change the way it is processed. In fact the more firewalls you run it through the cleaner it is. It is even more sane than it was raw from the wire. Most third party firewalls also require a separate NDIS driver installed in the communications stack. If anything they should allow us to choose what kind of API’s we want in our stack or even possibly add support for some of the major vendors.

I can’t claim to be at all knowledgeable about the technical aspects of firewalls other than basic usage, however, I have never found that any hardware firewall implemented by various routers (my experience there is limited to only the 7 or 8 various routers I’ve used over the years). The router firewall is a front end to the signal coming in and is not related to the network of computers that the router allows to be established under it.

On the other side, I also remember that not only third party firewall developers, but also Windows firewall explicitly stated that it is best to not run two firewalls concurrently. Whether Microsoft has changed that position at any time since Win10, I don’t know.

I accept what stephen730 says as far as successive “cleaning” of the i/o from the router, but I would be more confident if the various firewall developers agreed to the use of multiple firewalls. From my perspective, I have two routers with hardware firewalls in line (one for the incoming wireless internet signal and one for my home subnet) plus the Windows firewall one each device, so with the addition of Glasswire, I feel satisfied with the protection I have.

I would like to report that I am currently running Mcafee internet security but I want to use glasswire to monitor my firewall. The problem im facing is Mcafee firewall has disabled windows firewall. So I disabled the Mcafee firewall and rebooted the pc hoping that windows firewall will automatically kick in and it did. However, glasswire still registers Mcafee as the active firewall and there for I cannot activate the glasswire firewall.