Continually scanning

I have restarted my PC and glasswire several times. When I click “Things” it shows 2 unknown devices (I know I have more than 2 devices using the wifi) and it is continually scanning.

It stops scanning on the other installation of glasswire that I have at my friends house.

Is there something wrong?

thanks

I see that as well and can’t stop the scanning?

1 Like

Well it did stop so I assume it’s working fine in my case.

1 Like

@testerg

Are you using our free or paid version?

Did you press “scan” manually, or is this the automated scanning?

I’m using the free version. I haven’t pressed “scan” it just hasn’t stopped automated scanning. I let it scan for about 1.5 hours.

thanks

@testerg

Have you ever used Windows Sandbox?

I had this happen on my PC and it was being caused by the presence of a virtual network adapter. Uninstalled it and the “Things” scan completed in a reasonable amount of time, like a couple of minutes.

In my case it was NPCAP Loopback Adapter. I use it for Wireshark and a few other utilities.

The things scan will eventually finish, but I did turn off the automatic scans and just do them manually as needed. In my case it runs about 30 mins each time.

It seems like the virtual loopback adapter is presenting a device state that the scan is having a hard time dealing with. I would guess that maybe some sort of timeout is occurring, or many levels of recursion in a search algorithm?

This is probably fixable by just having the scan ignore virtual network adapters.

1 Like

@zzz00m

Yes, this is what we think is happening also. We’re investigating a solution like you suggest.

1 Like

I just clean installed GlassWire today onto a new Dell laptop with just the on-board Wi-Fi NIC and Ethernet NIC available.

Things scan takes about 2 minutes on that machine.

1 Like