Data usage and GlassWire Questions

So our data usage according to Xfinity has gone through the roof this month. We’ve been averaging 900-950GB a month for the last 6 or 7 months. This current cycle we are sitting at almost 1600GB. Nothing significant has changed. We’ve been working from home since March and our habits are the same. No added equipment etc. I downloaded GlassWire a couple of days ago and it’s showing data usage of 3GB per day over the last 48 hours. How can this be??? I’ve reset passwords so no theft of service and all the devices on the network are our own equipment. Thanks for any suggestions or ideas. I’m at a loss!!!

@DYates Thanks for trying GlassWire. Unfortunately GlassWire cannot track your entire network because that would mean it would need to interface with your router.

However many people world-wide use GlassWire to stay under their ISP and mobile data limits. The reason people use GlassWire to stay under their data limits is because in most cases PCs are responsible for data overages and GlassWire can show you in detail what apps/hosts are responsible for using your data. You can then block those apps with our firewall, or just uninstall them.

We also have an Android app https://www.glasswire.com/glasswire-for-android/ that also focuses on data usage, and can show data usage for WiFi and mobile.

GlassWire also has a “Things” list that shows all the IOT (Things) on your network. It can alert you when a new unknown device joins and starts wasting your data.

How many PCs are on your network? Have you tried installing GlassWire on all of them?

Once you find which PC is causing the issue GlassWire can then show you what app is responsible so you can solve the issue by blocking the app or uninstalling it.

Other laptop is a mac. We only have 2 laptops, 3 tv’s, and 2 phones that are connected all the time. The only other thing I can think of was replacing a chromecast with a 4k Firestick about 5-6 weeks ago. After a few searches this morning it appears that may be the cause. I checked two of the TVs that have data monitoring and they were both OK.

@DYates

If you can rule out the PCs by using GlassWire, you can then rule out the other devices one by one by not using them for awhile.

If it’s a Firestick then that’s pretty terrible because I don’t know what you can do to solve the issue with a device like that. I did some searching around online and I saw a tip that if you turn off the Firestick screen saver it helps with this issue. Could be worth trying.