Database location?

You could try https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unlocker to determine who exactly locks file.

As shown by the screencapture above, the issue is not the file being locked by a process (which I also verified with sysinternals). Also, as mentioned, it can be deleted.

Can you rename it? Can you move it to another folder? (with shutdowned service of course)

Rename it: yes. Delete: yes. Copy/move: No.

What exactly util from sysinternals did you use for locks check?

You can search for a filename and see all handles open to that file. When the glasswire service is running, it of course shows the connection to glasswire.db; when stopped, nothing is using it. Regardless though, this clearly isn’t an “in-use” error - or renaming/deleting wouldn’t work (and the Windows error message would be related to “in use” rather than to ownership/permissions)… :confused:

Are you talking about ProcessExplorer ( http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx )? - there are too many different utils on Sysinternals…

yes, process explorer.

Then could you please try unlocker anyway? Just to be sure.

http://emptyloop.com/unlocker/ it has portable version, so you even don’t need install it.

I’m not sure why you keep going on this line of “in use by another program.” It clearly isn’t. That isn’t the problem.

Because IMHO there are only 3 reasons could be why file could not be deleted:

1. it’s opened in some application;
  2. it has some specific permissions by filesystem;
  3. filesystem is corrupted;

And what’s special in “glasswire.db”? - it’s the only file created from service (i.e. from SYSTEM account)… And thus some security application could apply some specific rules to it.

Maybe I’m wrong, but I don’t see any other options.

1. Definitely not. Again, I’ve verified that there are no open handles, the message shown by Windows is unrelated to “in use,” and I can rename/delete it, which obviously wouldn’t be possible if it were open. Also, it’s not copyable in safe mode either.
    2 & 3) Maybe, but I’m totally out of ideas.

And what’s special in “glasswire.db”?

No idea what’s so special about it, but that’s why I’m posting here.

Here, maybe this will prove it to you:
->If I stop the service, delete glasswire.db, and create my own “glasswire.db” file (an empty textfile), I can copy & manipulate it as usual.
->If I stop the service, delete glasswire.db, and restart the service - letting Glasswire recreate its own file - it has the problem.

So whatever Glasswire is doing when it creates this database, it’s clearly weird. Never had this problem with any other file, and it only happens when Glasswire creates it.

Glasswire support, PLEASE chime in??

Unfortunately I’m not sure I understand fully what is happening either. Nobody else has reported this problem and I can’t recreate it myself. I will continue to investigate and see if I can come up with something to help.

I’m sorry for the delay in solving the problem. I wish I knew!

Will any more info / screen captures / etc to show exactly what’s happening be helpful?

I really have put hours into this, as well as run it past numerous extremely computer-knowledgeable people. Nobody has any idea what’s going on. The message seems like an obvious issue of file ownership, but as mentioned, even after explicitly taking ownership & giving my own user account full permissions, just this file and no others won’t let itself be copied (renamed/deleted are OK, though): http://screencast.com/t/7eVUDmOUkE

I would try unlocker nothing to lose

1 Like

…Ok? Now can we please move on from the unlocker/file handle thing? :stuck_out_tongue:
(& yep, I tried rebooting too - the file was not moved.)

…Here’s some new info tho! It appears to only happen with operations that actually require rewriting the contents of the file:

-I can delete it
-I can rename it
-I can move it within the same logical drive as where it started
-I cannot copy it
-I cannot move it to another drive (effectively a copy-and-delete)
-I cannot open it in a text editor

So it appears to specifically be the operation of reading its contents that aren’t allowed. Although obviously Glasswire can read its contents.

What security/antivirus/anti-malware software do you have on your computer?

Microsoft Security Essentials, but as mentioned, I tried it in Safe Mode (in which case no security/antivirus/anti-malware is running). Same story.