[Feature Request] Add refresh button on "Usage" Tab

I think it would be good if there is a refresh button on “Usage” Tab. So we can always see the updated data usage every we open the program in front of our face and we no longer have to open other tab then go back just to see the data change.

1 Like

@hvernanda

If you click back and forth between the tabs, it refreshes. Our previous GlassWire version updated live, but people complained about the resources so now we changed the software.

Maybe with 2.0 we can find a way to bring back live updating.

1 Like

I would like to point out that ANY network security/connection monitoring software not operating in real time ( in worst case auto-refresh intervals of maybe 2 or 3 seconds at the most) is at best a mediocre tool. What is the point of ANY security/monitoring tool to tell me an hour or two after my stupid neighbor attempted to tamper with my WiFi?
I don’t mean to offend anyone but it is my take on security tools, and it has been for ages.
I would like to suggest an option for a simple button to turn off auto-refresh for those who prefer resources over real-time security, and for us who would like to get alerted in real-time please give us control over what we want.
I hope that this should be easy to take care of with not too many lines of code?
Thanks for reading. Take care you all.

@dbf

Our graph is more for live activity than the usage tab. But yes, our usage tab used to be live also but people complained of memory usage so we had to make some minimal changes to bring it down. We will improve this with 2.0, probably after the launch. Sorry for the problem.

1 Like

Thanks for your response Ken_GlassWire!

When you say “people complained of memory usage” that part just made me want to respond because I came across that statement as a quite frequent “complaint” from several other people here (in addition to HDD/Logging/Read-Write(I/O) and how much of space it takes up). As I’m typing this, it is the year 2017, the memory is very cheap (be it RAM or storage memory used in HDDs or SSDs). To develop a tool that can do great many things but consume hardly any resources is nearly impossible! I as a subscriber of Elite Version of your software have a message for all developers of this awesome tool:
Please try very hard to cater to those users that tell you how good your work is by compensating you for it.
If I can afford $200 for this beautiful tool then you can be damn well sure that I am able to afford me plenty of RAM (DDR4 or higher speed) as well as plenty of storage for the logs. Why limit or bother the developer because some guy’s still using DDR2 RAM on his machine? Some people get a free version and then they want you to tailor it so it consumes less RAM and HDD but they also want it to be able to do EVERYTHING. As I said, memory has come down in terms of pricing considerably and it’s only going to get cheaper and faster, so just please upgrade. Get with the program, it’s 2017. Another thing is with the pricing “issue” that many here have. I want everything for free too - WHO CARES! I put my money where my mouth is. GlassWire is not something you have to have to survive, it’s not food or water. Developers have bills too. I am sure that everyone reading this, if they want GlassWire paid version bad enough they will always find a way to save a buck or two elsewhere so they can come up with enough $ one day to be able to afford the paid version. But why would/should they if they can have a free version? Please show more respect for developers and please take a minute of your time to say “Thank You”! I am not related or connected to any developer of this software in ANY way.

1 Like

@dbf

We plan to redesign how this works in 2.0 so users like yourself will be satisfied, and user who are low on ram have other options with less information.

Thanks for your detailed feedback and I understand what you’re saying 100%!

2 Likes

I really like your plain talk and strong expression. It’s good to see such clarity. :joy:

FYI, many users get the paid licenses for their PCs that monitor other PCs running free GlassWire. This is a good option for many people and is another good reason to recommend GlassWire to others.

I have a paid licence and I firstly want an excellent feature set. But, secondly, I want GlassWire to run as efficiently as possible given that it runs all the time on my system. I know that the two requirements will often clash. But in this case, GlassWire can satisfy both requirements with a setting to choose between automatic and manual refresh…

1 Like