[Feature Requests] More app-directed behaviours, color schemes, and and

Hello,

I’ve recently started using GW and liked it enough to upgrade to basic today after my ESET Smart Security (and its annoying firewall) expired. I am now using AVIRA and it seems good.

While the ESET frontend for Windows firewall was annoying and draconian, there are a couple features shared by other firewalls I have used in the past which I think would really enhance GW (even if they are just optional as an ‘advanced mode’ or similar):

More app-directed behaviours: Allow, deny; Allow/Deny now, for 15 mins, until restart, indefinitely.

Rules for routes: Can the app connect to any IP on any port, or just the IP, port, combination it’s attempting now?

Pick your own colors: Considering this is one of the most stand-out features, I think you should let users embrace it. The default color scheme is cool, but even with the paid skins I can’t find a scheme which I love. It would also be nice to be able to change the background colour (esp for the mini-graph - which also needs a ‘not always on top’ setting as has been discussed here.)

I hope I have conveyed my interest for GW, I like it and I want to continue using it. That said, I think there is a broad spectrum of desired control between draconian iron curtain border control and yes/no ‘click and forget’. I think that the ability to add control or behaviours to suit the user (according to how much control they want) in an almost modular or opt-in way would dramatically enhance the user experience and potentially even system security.

In terms of constructive criticism I will say that I thought there would be more control and rule-setting ability from the “firewall” tab (I bought GW so I WOULDN’T have to go digging through that ridiculous Windows firewall config panel). The memory usage is also significantly higher than I would have imagined (150mb after about two days, I have read that this is being addressed but still pretty surprising) and the paid skins were a bit unsatisfactory and few in number. I really like your overall aesthetic and design choices, but I’m picky.

Anyway, don’t let that overshadow my feeling that this is a solid and good looking app.
Thanks and keep up the good work.
ghsty

1 Like

Thanks for your feedback. We hope to implement a lot of your ideas in the future. The idea of allowing users to create their own skin colors is interesting.