Feaure request - traffic shapping

Hi. Thanks for the program. Would you implemment traffic shapping in the future for limit transfer rates for each app? Thanks

Interesting idea. How would this feature be useful for you and others? I want to be sure I understand it completely.

Thanks for your response.

Would be nice limit chrome.exe to 100 Kb/s or utorrent to 200 Kb/s to have controlled witch app how use my brandwith.

Yeah, i am sure you understant my idea and i will very happy if glasswire team implement it, i am sure this will be userful to the all world since only exists two programs over internet with this feaure.

Thanks again

1 Like

Traffic shaping is already available in SeriousBit NetBalancer, and it’s a pretty good program as far as it goes. I used to use it myself, but for me it became redundant for that purpose when I got fibre optic BB earlier this year and jumped to 77+mbps down and 19.5mbps up, after which I never found a need to prioritize or limit anything of my Net traffic - and for NetBalancer’s other functions of traffic monitoring, GW is MUCH more fully featured.

My only concern about adding traffic shaping (presumably prioritizing, as that’s usually the best way to do it) in GW would be how much extra CPU resource would be taken up by that function, because in NetBalancer that was rather an issue. If it were to be implemented, I recommend that it be an option that, if disabled, would have no (not simply small) resource impact. Then users like me who don’t need it would not be carrying dead weight in their system load.

–
Philip

Philip,

How did you use this feature? I find it hard to understand how it would be useful to most people.

Philip.

Not all people have fibre.

Netbalancer it’s great. But stops working suddenly in two different machines. And netlimiter it’s not free.

Since traffic shapping it’s only done for a few programs i think this feature would be userful to others and can increment download and using for more people. When you write code for program you will love that people use it

You can implement, essentially, a front end to the QoS feature of Windows (as you do the firewall). Would be interesting. It’s part of group policy. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd759093.aspx (or implemented through http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh967469.aspx using http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh872446(v=vs.85).aspx; poke around in C:\windows\system32\windowspowershell\v1.0\Modules\NetQos)

2 Likes

Tnx for the info.

I can see that links can be userful to Windows 2012 R2 operating system only.

Would be nice this feature be available for all OS.

1 Like

Ken, for admins this is very interesting. I use on my work netbalance too, to control app that no have traffic control and optmizing application test with low bandwith. For example. I want to simulate a dsl link up to 256kbits/s to test a MS Remote Desktop (or session host) or download something using akamai download (that is possible to resume but u cant control the bandwith usage. Well, my honest opnion, this feature could be useful on pro version) and , as was said, netbalance is very complete with traffic shape, actually i use it. But this function, maybe 2 or 3 times each simester (sorry for my mistakes on writting, my english it is not very good and Android layout keyboard is pt-br) =]

1 Like

It is VERY useful (cant live without) feature. If you are downloading something on your browser for example, it will eat ALL your bandwith and prevent you from online gaming, netfilx, etc. With this feature you can limit the program that is using the bandwith to a specific target (like 500kb/s). Also, sometimes windows starts automatically downloading updates and prevent me from netflix, online gaming etc so with this feature I can detect the program that is eating the bandwith (windows update whatever it is called) and limit it, so it still downloads the update but does not stop me from using the internet fast with other programs at the same time. Say, my todal bandwith is 600 kb/s, and Steam starts to download an update for a game. Instead of pausing/stopping the update I just limit the bandwith that can be used by Steam and set a limit to it for 250 kb/s. That way the update still dowloads and I got room (the other 350kb/s of my total) for netflix for example. Netlimiter does this and has a firewall too, netbalancer is their competitor. A LOT of people would switch to Glasswire if it had that feature thanks to the killer interface alone. Also, you could sell this program on Steam, and this feature alone would sell the program there faster than hot bread.

NetBalancer is a fantastic program and it solved a few issues not solved by Windows QoS, the router’s limited QoS abilities, and devs thinking that theirs is the only program run on everyone’s PC (and therefore built-in throttling, no matter how much requested, is absent on bandwidth-intensive applications). NB also lets one prioritise processes, not just set limits.

Here’s how handy it was: Steam would auto-update and suck all the bandwidth, killing the NetFlix experience. The same would go for cloud storage. Real-time gaming is also affected. I haven’t tried NetBalancer since switching to Win10–going to see if I can live without it first (my version is old, may not even work). Steam finally included throttling and scheduling, diminishing my need also.

A front-end for group policy QoS would be a nice addition (especially since I use it to keep OneDrive from being a hog) but note that group policy only affects outbound bandwidth only.

1 Like

@Ken_GlassWire Here is a use-case for you, since you are asking for some :slightly_smiling:

I’ve been using GlassWire for a week now as I was struggling with bandwidth while working - I currently live in an area with very limited bandwidth (we’re talking 1Mb on a good day). I was finding that various processes or websites would use a lot more than I was expecting but often wasn’t sure what. GlassWire highlighted these for me, which was great. I tried NetLimiter on a trial version and that did what I wanted, but I don’t much like having to run yet another program alongside the already running GlassWire.

My use of NetLimiter was to throttle such things as Windows Update, since the advent of Windows 10 and their “We’ll download updates regardless of your choice” policy was destroying my ability to reliably work on remote servers. I would throttle it way down to 50Kb a second at times. Similar, I could throttle Chrome so that I could be on a conference call with Skype while still able to load and view pages without the page load absorbing my whole connection and causing Skype to sound garbled or lagged.

I’d also +1 the suggestions before me, that a standard browser download will always use max bandwidth, so even fast connection can suffer. Same goes for NetFlix and other streaming software. Having really granular control over these things is very useful IMO.

2 Likes