Future Feature Requests!

As posted on 1 Mar 2017 in a thread entitled “Must Feature: High Contrast Black color scheme aka dark mode” (I’d post the link, but the board SW won’t let me).

replicated here for you convenience:

I’m visually impaired and GW’s polar bear in a blizzard (low contrast white) default (and ONLY) color scheme will not work for me. I’ve read about the skins, but they’re only applying to the graph colors is really a misuse of the term ‘skin’. The term ‘skin’ w.r.t. applications applies to the color scheme for the entire GUI for the application. Due to impaired vision I must use a high contrast black color scheme (ala what is available in Win10 by that same name). Your application should detect what OS GUI color scheme is in effect and tailor itself to match that color scheme as best it can, or at least allow the user to select alternate GUI color schemes (which MUST include ‘dark’ color schemes).

I’d love to buy the Pro version of your product, but I cannot do so until you offer a high contrast black complete GUI color scheme. I look forward to that coming soon. Thanks.

6 Likes

Hi
1.Ability to export Aplications IP Addresses
2.Show (+xx more ) in new seperated window
3.Ability to create custom skin

Tnx

3 Likes

And allowing users to choose the location (floating window / taskbar / both).
Current mini graph looks pretty nice but I still prefer exact numbers like 20171125_021234
(Realized I said the same thing way back in Mar, 15. /t/little-suggestion-speedometer-in-taskbar/928)

7 Likes

It would be nice if when GW is set to “Ask To Connect”, we could see the same detailed information of the app which is trying to connect as we see on the Firewall tab when we hover the cursor over the app icon.

Also, dark themes.

5 Likes

@XeidiDent

2.0 has more detailed info and it’ll be out in a couple weeks. Thanks for your feedback!

1 Like

@Glasnet

To move your database to another HD please create a “glasswire.conf” file in notepad with these two lines only (the lines in quotes):
"# db_file_path=\glasswire.db
db_file_path=d:\glasswire\glasswire.db"

This file should be copied to the c:\programdata\glasswire\service folder
The database path is set to D:\glasswire\ folder in the file sample, but you can change the path to something else.

You should restart the GlassWire service when the file is copied.

1 Like

Export App traffic data and other statistics. Preferably by time.

3 Likes

Search function in Alert Tab or maybe in all tabs.

For example to find all Apache connections, or all connection with microsoft domain.

3 Likes

The ability to search by IP address/hostname or app in the usage tab. Ex: Say I know the offending IP and want to find who the associated app(s) are.

Also, the ability to scroll the apps and hosts lists (under the usage tab) when clicking the more links eliminating the need for the tiny pop-up in this scenario.

2 Likes

Ability to alert about bandwidth usage of specific apps, and [if possible] block them if they exceed a certain amount until user confirmation. E.g, the new backup software I’ve started using is quite terrible about magically adding new directories to backup, and it recently uploaded 100 GB of data that I did not want backed up. That is 1/10 my monthly bandwidth cap. It would have been great if I could tell Glasswire to monitor this app and if it exceeds X data in N days, block it and confirm with me. Or even just pop up an alert. Anything to let me know that something was sucking up all my bandwidth that I may not be aware of.

2 Likes

I agree that GlassWire should prevent the Windows Firewall from being modified externally. Simply delete any rule not created using it. Finally, there needs to be an exceptions list to maintain the default set of rules Windows Firewall comes with.

1 Like

Firewall: Instead of showing all of the blocked items at the top and making me scroll all the way down to see what is open it would make sense to put the blocked down below or better yet make a blocked tab in the firewall section.

And when unblocking and then wanting to X out the selection to remove it trying to find that little x way off in the middle of the screen is too much work. The x should be closer to the item name or name it, “remove” or something more obvious. I bet some people never even see that tiny x 5 miles away.

1 Like

I just installed 2.0 Beta. There is still no high contrast black UI color scheme. Fail.

I’d like to see Ad Blocking come to GlassWire. The previous firewall I used (Agnitum Outpost Pro) had this and it was wonderful.

2 Likes

This is exactly what I would like to see in future versions. :+1:

2 Likes

If Little Snitch 4 can do it, you must also do it :wink:

IT include the Map and all functions that go with map.

Not only block all, also block upload data only (No server) and Block Download only, block both.

Like i said, take a look over Little Snitch 4…Zone Alarm and Bit Defender and add what miss to Glasswire…i will not make full list myself because lack of english

3 Likes

Is there an option to delete the log file to free some space in the storage drive? If not please include it, and make it easy for the user to find it and show the size of the log file.

1 Like

At Ken_ClassWire’s suggestion, the following is copied here from the general discussion. I appreciate the very fair response so far to my deliberately rather boat-rocking post. I have updated my original post as placed here, on the basis of prompts from some of the nice people who’d responded to my original post.

I do love GW - I really do! It’s a brilliant program for which, at least from my perspective, there is not yet any worthwhile alternative.

– Except.

Please, we now have the long-awaited GW 2, and, oh my, its ‘firewall’ is indeed improved - but it is STILL only a TOY one! Please excuse my very real exasperation and scathing view of the travesty that the GW ‘firewall’ still is. Okay, my use of the epithet ‘toy’ here is figurative, but is necessary in order to hammer home my point to some rather deaf ears somewhere.

Seriously, I was assuming that at least when GW 2 came out I could dispense with Windows Firewall Control (WFC) and have a proper front-end for Windows Firewall right there in GW. And what do I find? – It’s only been tinkered with round an edge or two, and nearly all of the requests for a proper firewall UI in this forum have fallen on deaf ears!

It is clear that whoever chooses which features are to be included in GW has no intention at all for GW to have a genuinely useful or competitive firewall UI. So, having reverted to WFC after some 15 minutes of incredulity at the lack of useful change in the GW ‘firewall’ department, I now assume that I shall have to continue using WFC (with the GW ‘firewall’ switched off) indefinitely.

Here are the primary necessary features that I can think of now, which are still needed in GW’s firewall UI (there will be other important things that I haven’t remembered here), which are all fully implemented in WFC.

1. Full list of the Windows Firewall rules, both inbound and outbound!! – At the moment GW does NOT display any of them at all! Instead it displays only a separate list of outbound rules that it itself has created. GW2’s one ‘improvement’ that I could see is that now its listing is ‘synced’ with the genuine WF list. Please, what we need is direct display of the WF rules themselves - and ALL of them, with all parameters displayed or at least displayable!

2. Search and quick filter facilities!

3. The standard quick sort of the list, based on any column, executed by a click on the relevant column heading (both for ascending and descending order), which you get in almost all programs’ listings, but not yet in GW!

4. ALL parameters of each rule displayable (which they are not at all at the moment in GW), but with a right-click menu function on column header bar to choose which columns are displayed. That’s quite a lot of columns (a choice of 18 - yes, eighteen! - in WFC), but if the user can choose which to show, then everyone can be satisfied.

5. Order of columns to be rearrangeable by dragging.

6. Full rule editor popup on double-click upon any rule.

7. Facility to manually create custom rules, including temporary ones, using the full rule editor mentioned in item 6.

8. Full WF connection logs display function, with quick filtering both for inbound/outbound and for keywords.

9. ‘New connection’ alerts need more choices than just Allow / Block, such as ‘Block once’, ‘Block temporarily’, and 'Block / Allow only through ports nnnn-nnnn, and so on - though of course the extra choices could be hidden through a user option in Settings, to keep things at the simplest for people who want it that way.

10. Those alerts also need the option of a user-specifiable sound. I have an excellent distinctive but not too intrusive sound that I have WFC use for its alerts.

I haven’t time to give anything like a complete rundown, for WFC has masses of additional facilities and options available, but I think that the above list should give some idea of why I most definitely will not be using the GW ‘firewall’ in the foreseeable future and sticking with WFC as my firewall UI, while greatly valuing GW for all its other functions.

So, for the foreseeable future I have written-off the GW ‘Firewall’ as a travesty, a toy, and will not spend further time in concerning myself with the odd small ‘improvements’ that may be made to it. Basically it needs complete redesign to be a serious proposition as a firewall UI.

…Actually, having said all that, I would be not be sounding quite so demanding if the GW ‘firewall’ were described in the first place in such a way as to make it clear that it is NOT a full firewall interface / management system (for a start, stop calling it a ‘firewall’, because that tells everyone that it is a firewall, which is is not really (in any case the real firewall is Windows Firewall, so anything managing it should be called what it is, and not a firewall!) - and sets up false expectations.

Maybe something like ‘some basic / elementary firewall features’, but also making it clear that one needs other software for full firewall management. But even then, as other posters have pointed out, many basic UI features are currently lacking and much needed even for GW’s very limited firewall management functionality.

Sorry to have cause to sound a bit bruising on this occasion, but somebody at GW needs a hefty kick up the butt to get them thinking more clearly about the real needs for a firewall UI, and about how they describe GW’s firewall-managing features in their documentation, program interface and promotional material without misleading people into thinking GW would give them a proper, fully-featured firewall.

Philip

8 Likes

Just found out this thread so I want to post some request in proper place.
1.I really think Firewall tab’s UI need to separate block and non-block into 2 tabs or have 2 separate columns.When you have around 20-30 blocked it will be troublesome to scroll up and down all the time.
2.And it will be great to be able to delete old apps from the firewall list, which is uninstalled and not existed anymore.After a few time updates the app there will be 5-6 same icons in the list and it’s hard to know which is which.

3 Likes

On the FIREWALL tab, when we see some activity of some process, there is a small icon with the (+4 MORE) that when we click it, shows a list to WHERE the process is connecting to. Can devs please add a small BLOCK/BLACKLIST DOMAIN feature so some the firewall blocks ANY data being sent to any particular site is blocked.

eg. Firefox sends random packets to Akamai even when we are NOT using Akamai (thanks to our browsers sending out packets without our knowledge). Why permit 3rd parties to sniff our information without consent? It’d be a nice feature to be able to blacklist these domains so nothing is sent out, and also reducing bandwith.

We’ll also need a list of all blacklisted sites, so we can tweak/unblock them as needed later.

Thanks.

1 Like