Glasswire autoblocks MS Security Stuff on ask to connect

Hi I’m using version 2.2.268 on “ask to connect” and it seems if you leave the pc and do some stuff and come back
services get’s “permanently” blocked without your actual consent. E.g they get written to the “blocked app” section since you offer no temp blocks. So far so good.
But I think Windows Defender “Smart Screen” and “Microsoft Network Realtime Inspection Service” should NEVER
appear on the “blocked app” category without the explicit block click from the user.

Tldr. “Ask to connect” autoblocks Windows Security stuff permanently without userconsent when you are away (or pc got into sleep mode).
For these services I don’t want to find them under “blocked apps” if it wasn’t by my own doing. Please.

1 Like

@Geri123

If you go to our top left menu and choose “About”, what version of GlassWire do you use?

We white list the important parts of Windows like updates and Windows Defender in our latest versions. There should be shield icon next to the app name and it can’t be blocked.

If an app is blocked and you didn’t block it then this can happen if you’re in “ask to connect” and the app tries to connect for the first time while the PC is booting up. In this case GlassWire cannot ask you if you should allow something, so it can only block it. We will try to improve this in the future. Thanks for your feedback.

1 Like

Hi I’m using version 2.2.268.
There is no shield icon for Windows Defender “Smart Screen” and “Microsoft Network Realtime Inspection Service. I would consider atleast Smart Screen as an important part of Windows :smiley:

Thanks for your feedback on the “Smart Screen” and “Inspection Service”.

GlassWire 2.2.260 has the shield there on Windows Defender which is the “Antimalware Service Executable”, msmpeng.exe.

I’d happily block SmartScreen and the Inspection Service, although they use little CPU, because they are much more limited in their uses.

1 Like

@Remah And you can happily block Smart Screen on your own choice. For me an silent autoblock without consent is not ok (for these windows programs) because as part of my security I use Windows Defender which got modified settings via Hard_Configurator.
So if my firewall decides to impact that without my own doing I’m not ok with that.

Shield Icon I meant on the picture.

A silent autoblock is a rare situation, only if our UI is not running somehow. Perhaps we can improve this in the future by letting the user know a block took place while GlassWire was somehow not running (during boot up for example).

2 Likes

I would really appreciate that. An info that there was an silent autoblock would be great.

1 Like

I usually let GlassWire run in “Click to block” mode for a week or so after a clean install to “train” it.

I watch carefully what connects, and gets written to “Active” apps, and then manually click to block any undesirables.

Then I can switch to “Ask” mode when I am sure all of the Windows system processes have been accounted for. That way it’s less likely to break something that is only scheduled to run intermittently.

2 Likes

@zzz00m

That is also exactly what I do. :+1:

1 Like

MS sometimes updates the exe for stuff like MS Defender or Microsoft Network Realtime Inspection Service I don’t see how to know when this will happen. And I don’t want to stay in “Ask to block” just waiting for that to happen :smiley: My install is not a fresh one.

FYI, for anyone else reading this we do already white list the major parts of Windows Defender. Even if it’s updated it should still work fine in “ask to connect”.

You will notice if our white listing fails to work because Microsoft gives off a really annoying “Trojan” warning.

So MS Defender will continue to have network access even if it does update.

How about an option to whitelist the other part of Windows Defender?
Like Microsoft Network Realtime Inspection Service?
Anyway thanks for your kind answer.

@Geri123

May I ask what version of Windows you are using? I searched the firewall for “real” and “inspection” and nothing comes up. I’m using the latest Windows 10 version.

Screenshots would be great to help us understand what you’re seeing here, along with your OS version.

Thanks!

@Ken_GlassWire
Afaik it’s native in at least the Pro version. It could be that is has to be activated via Registry or via an tool like
Configure Defender. But like I said afaik it’s an native Windows Defender component

https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/configuredefender.htmlVer
1 Like

On this PC I have Windows 10 Pro 19042.630 20H2. I wonder if Microsoft removed this recently and made it an integrated part of Windows Defender? I will keep looking out for it. Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks a lot for your time and answers.