GlassWire Computer Idle Monitor eats up CPU

Hi,

I linke this program very much. Nevertheless it keeps up eating sometimes my CPU. I do have a tablet PC and every time I wake it up, the computer Idle Monitor uses the CPU completely for about 30 to 40 seconds. This is really annoying because I’m used to start instantly with my Pad. Is there a way to prevent this habit?

I do use the latest Windows 8.1 on a ThinkPad tablet 2. Settings are standard.

Thanks in advance

Sorry for the problem. Limiting usage of resources is our priority. CPU/Memory usage will improve over time.

I hope so, over all, I didn’t recognize any extreme resource usage besides the first minute after wakeup.

Seconding this. On my Surface Pro 3 (Core i3 processor), the application’s service also causes a 100% CPU load whenever I resume after standby, rendering the system unusable for about 30-40 seconds (it is clearly caused by the service as it also happens if the application is not running but the service is – disabling the service resolves this but of course renders the application inoperable).

It’s nice that you intend to decrease resource consumption in general, but I actually don’t see a general problem and reckon that this issue (resource hogging after standby) must have some distinct cause which should be resolved.

2 Likes

This is happening to me also. Strange because I don’t think it was happening when I first installed GlassWire. I’m going to try to uninstall and reinstall.

Same here on my Surface Pro 3. On wake it takes up all CPU and the system is useless for about 2 minutes.

Going to uninstall and look for something else.

We will try to get access to a Surface so we can test and fix this. Thanks for your reports.

I had this same issue on my Surface Pro 3 running W8.1. I had to uninstall it, despite finding the program useful. Any news on a fix? Have you been able to access a Surface Pro 3?

We have gained access to a Surface and we’re trying to solve this. Sorry for the delay.

1 Like

Thanks for the quick reply.

This is still happening… makes it virtually useless on the surface pro :frowning:

1 Like

I have a Surface Pro also but I can’t reproduce this myself. Are you using any Torrent type software or anything that is using a lot of different simultaneous network connections?

No. It’s more or less vanilla Windows 10 (latest update).
It only happens when the tablet hibernates, I think, not when it goes to sleep. After something like 30 or 40 seconds, it is usually possible to log in. I managed to open the task manager and saw literally dozens if Computer Idle Monitor processes running in parallel. Once they slowly disappeared, performance went back to normal.

It’s weird because I bought the Surface Pro especially for this bug but we have never been able to reproduce it. I used the Surface Pro exclusively while traveling, and GlassWire was always running and it always worked perfectly.

I will ask our dev team if there is something we can ask you to provide on your end so we can figure out why this happens.

Have you tried disabling WUDF host.exe ? this cured it in many surface pro,s . Also try disabling Cortana (just to eliminate it ) Windows seem to want a lot of info sent back to headquarters.

I have this problem too. I’m running (paid-for) Glasswire Basic under fully-patched Win 10 Pro x64 on a Sony Vaio XPS13. The meters in Win’s “Task Manager -> App history” were apparently reset when I installed build 586 two days ago. Now, Glasswire Control Service is shown as by far the largest cumulative CPU user, with 15 hours. WMI Provider Host is at 12h; Search Indexer, Chrome, and System are at 5h, and everything else is down around 2h or less. Why’s Glasswire so massively eating my CPU?

If it won’t cause you problems could you try clearing your history, then rebooting and see if that decreases your CPU usage? Thanks for reporting this.

Okay. Did that 7h ago. Now Task Manager’s App history says

1. 5:20:29 OpenDNS DNSCrypt Client (this was highest before, too, so GlassWire’s not the biggest offender!)
  2. 2:20:05 GlassWire Control Service
  3. 1:59:33 MS Windows Search Indexer
  4. 0:51:08 Chrome
  5. 0:47:23 MS Windows Search Filter Host
    etc. I don’t know enough about Win to say whether these numbers accurately reflect CPU “consumption,” or perhaps they’re just “ownership” (as in, they take ownership any time no other process does, or in between all other process ownership switches, and keep it until some process asks for control …), but it still looks surprising to me. What do you think?

Interesting. I wonder if DNSCrypt could be responsible for the high CPU usage. Maybe GlassWire is confused by all the encrypted DNS traffic through OpenDNS.

Another option is to uninstall GlassWire, then go to the “ProgramData” folder and delete the GlassWire folder, then reboot, then reinstall.

Your right Ken DNSCrypt Proxy has added support for ephemeral keys ,it creates a new pair for each request - Quote =this does add some extra CPU time for each request . This addition was added for users of a mobile device /laptop/smart-phone /etc.