Glasswire Had Stopped Running

Here’s something interesting that happened over the weekend. On Sunday I started noticing that Glasswire had stopped running. I was unable to get it started again, even after rebooting a few times. I even tried, unsuccessfully, reinstalling it (clean) and then copying my previously saved data to the standard GW DB locations. At that point, I did a system restore back to Saturday night and obtained Saturday’s copy of the GW DB files from Windows Previous Versions of Files. Upon restarting the GW Service and the GW GUI after the system restore, Glasswire started correctly again and has been running well since yesterday. There were no dump files produced.

@csdfg2

I am sorry to hear GlassWire’s service stopped. Do you use any other security applications that might kill services from other apps? Sometimes “cleaning” types of apps will kill services of other apps to save resources.

How much memory does your PC have? It’s possible our service could die if you had very limited memory.

Interestingly, the Services.msc showed the Glasswire Service was still running even though the GW GUI said it was stopped. That was when I decided to do the system restore, etc. Is there anything in the DB that could keep GW from starting or connecting?

@csdfg2

Did you change some drive locations/names around or anything like that?

In answer to the other questions, my laptop has 16 GB memory. I use no cleaning software (like CCleaner. I uninstalled CCleaner months ago.) I use Windows Defender as my security solution. There have been no changes to any drive locations. (I presume that you mean paths or mapped drive letters.) The only thing that was going on over the weekend was that I have been attempting to stabilize my network connectivity following routing table changes made by my Internet provider last Monday.

1 Like

@csdfg2

I should have already asked, but are you using our latest software version?

Version

1 Like

Thanks. We will have an update out in around 7-10 days that might help with this issue.

1 Like

I must have tweaked something while troubleshooting the network connectivity issues on Sunday that affected Glasswire, since rolling the Windows system and the Glasswire DB back to Saturday seemed to fix it. GW has been stable since the rollback. Thank you, I will look forward to the update.

1 Like