Glasswire on SSD

Great! thanks Remah, I’ll do that, would you recommend any other setting to be changed as well or the SSD should be fine with just moving the DB?

1 Like

Moving the database to your HDD should be enough as I haven’t heard the GlassWire team say that anything else is needed with an SSD.

1 Like

Personally I’ve been using an SSD as my primary drive for years, which is also where Glasswire is installed and I haven’t had a single issue. The same goes for all of my other rigs.

2 Likes

SSD life based on limited writes used to be an issue with the early models, but I as understand it no longer applies to modern SSD devices.

I am running an SSD as my main C: drive daily for 3 years, and it’s still at 100% life, even with all kinds of crazy writing going on. :grinning:

3 Likes

@zzz00m

I don’t think that’s specific to modern honestly I have some first gen Samsung SSD’s with over 200TB of written data and my 840 Evo has 149TB witten thus far.

2 Likes

Yes, we haven’t seen wearing as a common cause of SSD failure because the wear leveling electronics appear to be doing their job. In general, SSDs vastly exceed their warranted life.

For anyone who is interested, Wikipedia has a good summary of SSD failure. Here’s one relevant quote:

A 2016 study of “millions of drive days” in production use by SSDs over a six-year period, found that SSDs fail at a “significantly lower” rate than HDDs, but have potential for localized data loss due to unreadable blocks to be more of a problem than with HDDs.

Some of the conclusions are really interesting because they point to many SSD failures not resulting from wear:

• SSD age will often be more significant than data rates.
  • About 1-5% of SSD failures were due to chips failing to meet the manufacturers tolerances.

Here’s a good article on an endurance tests where SSDs were hammered by continuous writing until they died:

https://techreport.com/review/27909/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-theyre-all-dead

You can calculate an estimate of SSD life using the formula in this article or there are software tools that will do the same based on access to the actual SSD:

2 Likes

you should absolutely move that DB from the SSD to a HDD, I did it on my desktop as I saw worrying amounts of writes on my SSD
on my laptop I don’t have an additional HDD, and GlassWire started trashing the SSD, I already lost 1% of its health in just couple of mounts since I purchased it - I will most likely remove GW from the laptop

1 Like

Where did you get this measurement from and what does it actually represent?
What is the SSD brand, model and size?
How full is the SSD?

1 Like

Thanks but I’ll definitely keep it on my main drive, still well over 1.3GBs read/write. I’ve been using the application since 2016 and haven’t seen it affect any of my SSD’s performance.

Either way I guess it doesn’t hurt to move the DB to the HDD (if you have one connected, you can also use a USB flash drive or an external HDD but you’de need it to be connected to your PC all the time) :slight_smile:

About the life percentage:

1 Like

I loaded Win7 on an EVO 850 500 GB in April, 2017 and GW Pro upgraded to Elite in April, 2018.

The system is on 10 hours a day and I spend about a third of that actively on teh webbuhnetz, email and RSS feeds (Firefox, Thunderbird and QuiteRSS).

To date, it has seen only 8069 GB of LBA’s written.

If one observes GlassWire Control Service (GWCtlSvc.exe) disk writes in ones favorite process monitor, it doesn’t factor much at all in the “I/O Write Bytes” as displayed in Task Manager, among others, are ALL input/output operations generated by a process, including file, network, and device I/O. GW is about equal to a browser. And any real-time anti-whatever protection one might run.

The System process is far, far more intense in disk writes, a real marathon runner.

All that said, if you can offload GW to an HDD or USB, that’s good. But while you’re at you should do the same for your User and System Environment Variables for TEMP and TMP.

Cheers.

1 Like

it’s a WD SSD and that measurement is displayed in WD’s own diagnostic software
the capacity is 240GB and has only Windows on it, so I’d say ~1/4 occupied

1 Like

Wow, that is exceptionally bad! I’d be considering a warranty claim.

So can you tell us what are the read/write statistics and the error types and statistics producing the 1% drop in health?

@ZMe_Ul

Do you use Bittorrent?

no Ken, I don’t use torrents on these machines
this issue has been discussed back in 2016: Worried about trashing SSD

1 Like

I cannot issue a warranty claim since the SSD’s behavior is consistent with the specifications
SSDs die …

now, if the SSD goes dead before warranty period and before writes expected , that’s another issue and can have a valid warranty claim

I was asking about the type of error, etc. as part of considering that you might have to get it replaced. But now I can see that you’ve clearly been here before. I remember that topic because your writes were so high. :hushed:

So did your old SSD die because that is a relatively short life.

the SSD I’m talking about right now is in the laptop

the SSD in the original thread is on my main desktop and it’s OK since I moved the DB

1 Like

I looking for the same answer.

Glasswire is extremely insignificant over the life of an SSD, they are rated for 100(s) of years minimum (typically) and most warrant up to 500TBW if not more for larger spaced drives.

If you are that worried about it, do what was suggested above and store the database elsewhere.

I’ve written hundreds of TB’s to several of my SSD’s over the rears and they are still performing at amazing read/writes when compared to HDD’s.