GlassWire Service Not Starting

Question retracted. Original content below:

Hello,

I have a paid copy of GlassWire installed on a 64-bit Windows PC. I bought it early this year and the service has never started correctly. I’ve also installed GlassWire on a clean Windows 10 PC to see whether there was an incompatibility with my other software, but the service still fails to launch on the clean install. Recently, GlassWire released an update. I’ve downloaded and installed the latest version, but this still has not fixed the service problem.

It doesn’t matter whether I set the GlassWire service to launch automatically or automatic (delayed start), I always have to start it manually.

Is there a simple fix for this? Can I get away with creating a scheduled task to launch the GlassWire service at boot?

Please advise. Thanks.

@bbstep

I don’t recall seeing this problem before. You said in your post that this problem happens with a clean install of Windows. Are there any other third party security applications you are installing before GlassWire with the clean install that could be stopping our service from starting?

Is there anything unusual about how you have Windows setup, or your Windows settings?

1 Like

Negative. Everything is standard - default Windows settings, no software is installed other than Glasswire.

I retracted my question because it may have to do with the speed of the drive. It looks like Glasswire is failing to start along with some other default services, but the HDD is 100% busy during this period. I only have this problem on one PC, so it seems that the service times out and, if not started quickly upon boot, doesn’t start at all.

That’s my best guess after observing Glasswire on other devices to troubleshoot the problem.

@bbstep

What are the other services that don’t start?

I have the same problem. I decided simply.

Create GlassWire.bat
:: -------------> text ----------------
Net start GlassWire
Sc config GlassWire start = auto
::for reliability
Net start GlassWire
Sc config GlassWire start = auto
Exit
:: -------------- text <-------------
We put it somewhere.
Create a shortcut. In shortcut properties
Specify - collapse in the icon.
Open Start -> Startup folder.
We throw in it a label.

My Glasswire Control Service would not start and I finally figured it out. It was permissions on the C:\ProgramData\Glasswire directory. My local profile account was the only one with permissions. I added a bunch of the system accounts (SYSTEM, SYSTEM SERVICE, LOCAL SERVICE, etc) and that fixed the problem with Glasswire service and the application. Hope this helps someone.:grinning:

1 Like

I had this issue before (posted here and a clean install did the trick) but now I run into this again and maybe it helps to debug the problem.
I use latest version and run into “Glasswire Control Service starting” (for ages) after reboot the computer. It worked before and I did not change anything!
I am watching the behaviour right now using “Procmon” and see GwCtSrv reading the database over and over again. Mabe that*s regular behaviour but two of the databases are about 2GB in size no!

When I tried last it stuck at “glasswire_stats_600sec_1510617600.db” which is about 1.4GB.
The service reads it over and over for about 10 Minutes until I stopped the mess. Read to the end and start from the beginning.

Now after reboot it stuck at “glasswire_stats_30sec_1518652800.db” which took a view minutes and I did not see the 600sec-Version at all in the log! I guess it was done very quick (since it seem it was loaded first)

Maybe there is a race-condition? Problem with the lock?
I will delete the databases and guess it works.

@Uli.Herrmann

Thank you for taking the time to report this and find these details. It is shared with our team.

Btw. “delete the stats” did the trick! Started nice now.
I have backup of the (maybe damaged) .db
Unfortunately slow ADSL to upload here in Western Greece

But if you need I could manage to upload somewhere (compression rate is poor :slight_smile: - ehm - no it isnt… my old eyes - missed a figure)

archive is 500MB only… Feel free to ask for upload.

I use SSD btw. So access-time should be not a real problem

1 Like

If this happens for anyone else, please try this:

Could you email us some logs? It will help us diagnose the problem.
https://www.glasswire.com/contact/

Stop the GlassWire service;
Copy log.conf to C:\ProgramData\GlassWire\service
Start the GlassWire service and reproduce the problem
Send us the logs from C:\ProgramData\GlassWire\service\log

Log.conf should be a notepad file called exactly “log.conf” with these two lines only:
log_path=c:\programdata\glasswire\service\log
log_level_file=-1

I had the same problem, reinstalling the program as an administrator solved the issue. W10-1803 by the way, so it probaby worked fine on earlier versions…
Maybe getting the installer to automatically elevate and ask for permissions would be an actually good idea… :wink:

1 Like