Glasswire service stopping

I’ve been using GW for years and it has been rock-solid stable for me.

But over the last couple months it has happened multiple times where I look down at the GW icon in the system tray, and see that it is gray and not running. Almost always, clicking the Restart button in the GUI works but today I had to go to Services and manually start it.

Version 2.4.440 on a fully updated Win 10 machine. I’ve rebooted the computer a few times.

Any troubleshooting advice for me?

Happened again just now.

From the event viewer-
Event ID 1000
Faulting application name: GWCtlSrv.exe, version: 2.4.440.0, time stamp: 0x62d564eb
Faulting module name: ucrtbase.dll, version: 10.0.19041.789, time stamp: 0x82dc99a2
Exception code: 0xc0000409
Fault offset: 0x0009eddb
Faulting process id: 0xe7f8
Faulting application start time: 0x01d8cc8ec95b8e19
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\GlassWire\GWCtlSrv.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\ucrtbase.dll

Since you know where Services is, I’ll assume you know GW’s startup type is supposed to be Automatic.

Been using GW since forever myself. Well, 2015. But that feels like forever…

For an FYI to all, as of this reply post, version 2.4.440 is the BETA.

I’ve been running the beta since April when it was alpha on my Win10 Pro 21H2 test system and haven’t seen your issue. (I’m with 2.3.449 on my every day Win10 Pro 21H2 system and will continue with that until the public 2.4 arrives.)

I’ve been updating the original 2.4.406 as versions were released and recently had to do a complete purge (using Revo Uninstaller Pro) and install 2.4.440 to clear up some other issues. Like the wrong version showing up in my GlassWire portal, among other annoyances not as egregious as the service shutdown.

Anyhow…

Are you using the “Run on startup” setting? If so, try turning that off, restart and then right click glasswire.exe and “Run as administrator” even if your Windows account is as admin.

Otherwise, a robust uninstall and a from-skratch reinstall should be the ubiquitous beta-warrior fix.

Sidebar: I’ve inquired several times to no avail as to how it might be in 2.4.440 that the likes of Microsoft Network Realtime Inspection Service (nissrv.exe) and Host Process for Windows Service (svchost.exe) can be marked as untrusted. And what the heck that means for everyone? As it stands, I won’t be using the portal when 2.4 comes out…

1 Like