Having speed issue from Network service provider

I have purchased a 940 Mbps service and am only getting about 730 Mbps even with new cat6 cables from modem to router and router to computer. I have purchased a GlassWire lic. I was wondering what GlassWire was rated for inspection in Mbps. I have been searching the internet to see if it is listed anywhere. Are there any options/flags for running GlassWire on an Asus MB x399-A with a Ryzen Threadripper 1950X that are needed? Thank you.

@jfresch

There are a couple ways GlassWire can help, but GlassWire is not a Speed Test monitor. To test speed you’ll need something like http://openspeedtest.com/ as I’m sure you know.

How can GlassWire help with speed issues?

1. Go to GlassWire’s real-time graph and see if any apps are using the network and wasting your bandwidth before starting a speed test. Or, turn on our “Ask to connect” mode where only your browser is allowed to do the speed test, to make sure nothing on your PC is using your bandwidth and possibly slowing your connection.
    https://www.glasswire.com/userguide/#Graph_Tab

2. Go to GlassWire’s “Things” tab. See a list of all online hardware devices. If you see something you don’t recognize perhaps you could change your WiFi password or maybe your ISP has set up your network incorrectly where you are sharing bandwidth with a neighbor? I have had other customers find out they were sharing bandwidth with their neighbor, or building, by using GlassWire’s “Things”.
    https://www.glasswire.com/userguide/#Things_Tab

For your question about rated, I’m not sure I understand that one. Perhaps the info above helps anyway? Thanks for using GlassWire.

2 Likes

Rated for inspection: Without the firewall inplace traffic over the internet runs at 1 Gbps, with firewall on the throughput is only 800Mbps, so the rate for inspection would be 800 Mbps for the firewall. Usually a way of rating network hardware. I was wondering if the GlassWire firewall was causing a load on the network throughput from rated 940 Mbps down to the test result of 730 Mbps.

1 Like

@jfresch

We use commonly used Windows APIs to check network speed, and Microsoft designed these APIs so they should not be able to cause any network latency. I personally use GlassWire and do a lot of speed testing myself and I have never seen any issues.

Also slowing the network of our users would make people very angry and I have not seen this reported, and our quality assurance has found no issues either.

You could uninstall GlassWire completely to test this. An app causing the network to slow down would be unacceptable to most people, so we are careful not to do that.

Also for our Firewall we use the Windows Firewall API and it’s used by over a billion Windows users world-wide, so it should not slow anything down either.

2 Likes

You will probably never get 940Mbps for a whole lot of reasons:

• Unless you pay a lot of money that service level will not be guaranteed.
    Here’s an example of how AT&T advertise their 940Mbps plan.

Download/Upload times are estimates and based on wired connection to gateway. Internet speed claims represent maximum network service capabilities. Actual customer speeds may vary based on a number of factors and are not guaranteed. Download speeds are typically up to 940Mbps for Internet 1000 due to overhead capacity reserved to deliver the data. For more information, go to att.com/speed101

• The ISP you use may under provision (have too many subscribers to meet higher speeds) which is why many people on 940Mbps plans with some ISPs don’t even 500Mbps let alone the 730Mbps that you are getting.
  • Different broadband technologies work differently: wireless connection speeds are most variable and more impacted by other users; cable connections less so; and fiber speeds least of all.
  • The router may have issues so which one do you have and is it ISP provided? Does it use the ISP default configuration or something different? There are several features that can produce slowdowns at the router.
  • Are other devices connected to the router? They should be disconnected (including wireless connections) before running a speed test.
  • Which speed test are you running? Does your ISP have one as that will usually be the basis for raising any shortfall with them? Some speed tests have more than one option e.g. Speedtest.net has more than one option and this affects the observed speeds.

FYI, 1Gbps will not be correct as the maximum theoretical throughput is always less than that.

The theoretical throughput of the Intel Ethernet Controller I211-AT on your Asus x399-A motherboard will normally be no more than 987Mbps like other 1000Base-T (Gigabit ethernet over copper cable) connections.

http://rickardnobel.se/actual-throughput-on-gigabit-ethernet/

1 Like