Is Hon Hai Precision Ind. Co., Ltd a threat?

Yes, it is interesting.

Hon Hai Precision Industry is Foxconn, the fourth largest IT company by revenue behind Apple, Samsung, Amazon and ahead of Alphabet (previously Google), Microsoft and Huawiei.

4 Likes

I’ve installed Glasswire on both my laptop and desktop, and I noticed something very interesting on my network. The desktop, a Dell XPS 18, turned out to be one of 2 Hon Hai devices on my network. As the laptop is also a Dell device, I tried referencing its MAC Address against the other Hon Hai device. What I discovered is that the laptop’s MAC Address is not appearing on the list of connected devices on either installation of Glasswire. Both are pulling up the same 7 devices: the router, my phone, my XBox One, my printer, and the desktop being the devices I’ve identified, and then the Hon Hai device and an Apple device.

I also have the “Who’s On My Wifi” mobile app on my phone. That app is detecting 8 devices on the network, matching the aforementioned 7, and then the 8th was mysteriously unlabeled, which is abnormal for that program, however, that MAC address matched my laptop… Also, a MAC vendor lookup returned a “Not Found” message for the address (A6-A0-2E-85-AB-41).

Additionally, using the arp -a command on both computers, I got a list of 7 dynamic devices on each, with 1 matching the router, 101 the phone, 102 the unidentified Hon Hai device, 103 the unidentified Apple device, 108 the XBox, 109 the printer, and then 106 appearing on the desktop and matching the laptop, while 111 appeared on the laptop and matched the desktop.

Is it at all possible that the unidentified Hon Hai device is the laptop? I think it’s highly unlikely, given the arp -a result, but I figured I’d ask. Hopefully somebody might have some insight regarding this.

1 Like

I’d likely agree that they’re not the same device but it is confusing that you are showing only IP addresses for arp results and talking about MAC addresses for the others. That means I can only guess.

Normally a check of IP addresses will be sufficient to match devices. Using the MAC address as well just makes it more definitive. Then all you’d need to tell us is what does not match.

There is something wrong if GlassWire on the laptop is not showing the laptop on the network list.

1 Like

@orsay

Our team asked if you could send us a screenshot? It will help us understand and diagnose the issue.
https://www.glasswire.com/contact/

Or click my name here and send it as a private message, or post it to the public if you feel safe doing so (but maybe remove your hosts).

Hon Hai Precision Ind. Co., Ltd is the FoxConn Wi-Fi Hon Hai Device in my Sony DVD Player that has 1 IP like as in local > 192.168.1.155 < but has two different MAC Addresses, WiFi 54:35:30:FOXCONN & hardwire D8:D4:3C:SONY, One being Wi-Fi Hon Hai caused me a panic attack almost when seeing this strange Hon Hai name showing up. I checked IPs from ASUS RT-AC87U Network Map / View List and what i seen really got my adrenaline started flowing in suspicions. I then had tried to remember any strangers around or visiting neighbors that might have dropped a toy - i have 24/7 video surveillance all the way around the outside of my house so if anyone 's professional they would’ve already known that part & professionals don’t need to tap your Wi-Fi, they just look at your data usage.

So upon seeing two MAC different Addresses using the same IP, i thought MAC ADDRESS HIJACKER
& then really started to flip then GOD POINTS OUT One is WIFI one is HWire so it can flip to wire or wireless connections

It turned out to be a PS4 for me.
If you have a PS4 you will have to shut it down(not rest mode) to disconnect from the wifi network.

1 Like

For me it was from a old Acer Acer laptop wifi connection

1 Like

thank you so much <3

Try this tool to check any MAC, or OUI and there is a list of which company the MAC’s are assigned.

REPLACE WITH (H)ttps://www.wireshark.org/tools/oui-lookup.html

Here is a link to the master database for MAC addresses

REPLACE WITH (H)ttps://gitlab.com/wireshark/wireshark/raw/master/manuf

You’ll have to cut and paste because they seem to frown upon fairly new users posting knowledge on here,

Also most devices can randomize software MAC addresses and use different addresses for 2.4GHz , & 5Ghz and ethernet connections. Sometimes it’s different manufactures for the ethernet and WiFi also.

Unfortunately new users usually post spam, and malware. We just use the Discourse forum default settings.

Perhaps you did not realize that GlassWire has a built in database for Macs and we will keep updating it. In most cases under GlassWire’s “Things” it should show the device manufacturer name. That’s why it showed “Hon Hai Precision”.

Hi. The device name “HonHaiPr” has skipped around to a number of my devices over the past year and there is no good reason for this. Once the PS4, today, the Hp laptop. When not mysteriously showing up as “HonHaiPr” these devices are appropriately labeled as they should be, as one would expect to see them with their actual manufacturer listed where it should be.

So, yes, this should cause concern.

These are clearly all hacks. Some causing sudden data drains increasing some folks’ data usage on their internet accounts that have jacked their bills up over $100 more per month, with no way that they know of to stop it nor remove nor block this mysterious device. And how, when it masquerades as a device that rightly should be connected to their network? An expensive device that, sometimes, is brand new (our Ps4, for example) or is a means for a family head to run their home’s affairs (mom’s laptop, to provide another example).

To get to the bottom of this, I went searching through my laptop to uninstall the latest Windows update that I was certain contained the most recent infiltration. What I found was three new network connections that did not even exist (on my end and anywhere in my house—that any of us initiated, at least) and in device and program lists, the word “root” more times than I needed to see to confirm my suspicions.

So, the question is: are individual devices hacked, one by one, via the wifi or is the wifi in general hacked? That there is a hack is not even the question anymore. It has been established as fact (so says my drained and since closed bank account).

When I decided three years after having AT&T wifi installed in my home to make them our wireless (cell) provider as well, while standing in the AT&T store using their wifi, I got a warning from Lookout on my already-hacked Android phone to immediately end my wifi connection as suspicious monitoring of their network was detected. My home wifi is hacked and I have never seen any such message before, so this was particularly concerning. What is more concerning is the fact that store employees were not concerned and shrugged it off, saying that this has been a problem there and to ignore it. Well, that Andriod was already hacked, so what did I have to worry about?

Within a month of using my new iphone XR, I discovered that someone somewhere already had been, as a Youtube account was already setup on the app that I downloaded that day to play something to soothe a friend’s screaming infant. It said hello to some name I have never heard of and when I investigated the Google account that Youtube was welcoming back, all info was fictitious except that the DOB used was merely one day away from mine—month and year were exactly the same. Just as alarming as the fact that whomever was tapping my bank account waited 16+ months of robbing me of minimal amounts until I discovered the infiltration to drain the account completely in one day.

I do not yet know who is behind this mass hack of everybody’s everything nor why. But it’s time to wake up to the fact that we all are so we can figure out what they want and who they are. I was alerted to this problem by someone within it. Multiple times within just several months I have been allowed to see that this is happening. I just don’t know why. Maybe just because someone somewhere (that has clearly been e-stalking me for a grip) knew I would eventually spread the word. I’m tired of seeing in every forum I find in my search results that this is not a threat.

Someone somewhere is. And I doubt it is just one person. Why? Where? How has it affected you personally? Have you been allowed to see that yet? Check your credit reports. Check bank accounts. Check everything, because that is what “they” have access to now. Not just your devices, but your entire household’s identities.

Maybe that’s what “they” wanted. According to my Bing search results just today, “they” have been harvesting this data for over a decade already. Or simply using our devices to transport their own. Or disguise their own. Which, if anyone fears federal prison for fraudulent crimes or terrorist acts they know nothing of, I’d say that’s a real concern, too.

Now what do we all do about it?

The issue you raise in the quoted text above is unlikely to be a cause for concern.

There is a very good reason why “HonHaiPr” would appear in the manner you describe. Hon Hai Precision makes network cards for Sony Playstations and several other computer brands.

The network card name will appear as the device name at some levels of the network model but not at all levels. At layer 2, the Data Link Layer, where Ethernet operates, the devices are often network cards identified by their MAC addresses. Or at layer 3, the Network Layer, the two network cards would be identified by their IP addresses. But at layer 4 or higher, those network card device names don’t normally appear.

As far as I know, GlassWire generally identifies devices at layer 3 with the ability to scan (ARP) devices at layer 2.

The rest of your post probably belongs in a separate topic as it appears unrelated to this one.

On my network Hon Hai Precision Ind Co Ltd is my HP LaserJet wireless Adapter.

1 Like