Maintaining traffic data across sessions

Hi there,
I don’t know if I’m doing something wrong, but it appears that Glasswire is not recording traffic data across sessions. I’m using v1.0.30b.
I run the software on a computer that runs 24/7. It only reboots about once a month because of Windows updates, on average. In any case, it seems that all the traffic data that was recorded up until the computer reboots is lost. I was hoping to use Glasswire to track my data usage over the course of every calendar month (e.g. the period covering November 1st through 30th, then the one covering December 1st through 31st) so I know how much data I upload and download over my Internet connection. I have a soft monthly cap of 300 GB – it’s soft in the sense that my ISP doesn’t charge me for it but they may slap the back of my hand – so I like to keep an eye on my usage. Unfortunately if Glasswire doesn’t retain data across reboots, it’s pretty worthless to me. I can always log in directly to my ISP’s customer portal to see my usage, but it’s cumbersome and not up-to-the-minute.

Additionally, it seems something in the Glasswire service keeps crashing for me currently (same symptoms as htt ps:// (remove the space between “htt” and “ps” to get the link working), and even that appears to be resetting my usage meter, every time.

Thank you for reporting this problem. Is it possible to completely uninstall GlassWire, then reboot, then reinstall and see if you still experience this problem?

What operating system are you using?

I’m running a Core i7-930 w/ 6 GB of RAM, with Windows 8.1 Pro.

The behavior is the same after uninstalling Glasswire, rebooting, reinstalling Glasswire (from a freshly downloaded installer), and rebooting again. Still not keeping track of usage between reboots, and it’s constantly saying “reconnecting” (and losing stats in the same motion).

Additionally, I noticed while watching this activity that my CPU fan sounded louder. I took a look at Task Manager and saw two Glasswire services (GlassWire.exe and GWCtlSrv.exe) eating between 10-20% CPU each, as well as using hundreds of megabytes of RAM. I don’t really care about the RAM usage, but the CPU usage seems abnormal to me.

When the Glasswire services “crashes” (as described in that other thread I linked earlier), the observed pattern in Task Manager is the same:

  1. The CPU usage of Glasswire.exe falls to zero
  2. The GUI indicates that Glasswire is “reconnecting”
  3. CPU and RAM usage for both Glasswire.exe and GWCtlSrv.exe steadily increase. CPU usage for the latter climbs up to ~25% then stabilizes around 12% with the occasional spike, while the former does basically the same thing (with higher RAM usage), then suddenly drops to ~5%, then 0%, then I get the “reconnecting” message in the Glasswire UI again… and so forth.

I’ve timed it and it occurs every 22 seconds or so. It seems to happen when Glasswire.exe reaches ~500 MB of RAM used. And of course my usage stats get reset every time.

I was wondering if perhaps this may be caused by my using BitTorrent and establishing a high number of connections, but that’s not the case as it happens just the same even when my BitTorrent client is not running.

The same things also happen when the Glasswire UI is closed – I can see the same patterns by just watching the CPU and RAM usage of the two processes in Task Manager. And lastly, this does not happen if I exit Glasswire (so that only GWCtlSrv.exe is left running).