Mini Viewer Doesn't remember its position + Size!

If this is a bug then please tell me how to fix it otherwise I can’t believe that it shows up where it does and without settings to control its position and size.

It should remember where and how big it was and restore itself there on restart.

I don’t remember every having this problem but I know that others have. So try the suggestion in this topic:

Some people also have an issue due to changing screen resolutions:

This is an email I just sent to the bugs email address:

Those were from 2 years ago, I tried:

• Stopping app
  • removing"client.conf"
  • Starting app
  • and that made no difference.
    The old 2015 thread was not updated with the results from the debug version of Glasswire (not that there should be such a thing unless the additions are for a pre release version).

If you don’t create a log file for all major events then I suggest you start and have a verbose/debugging option.

I also tried without stopping the application:

Start the application

• Move the viewer somewhere else and change its size
  • Clicked “Show Mini Viewer” to hide it
  • Clicked “Show Mini Viewer” to show it
  • Its back to its original location and size.

I have Glasswire PRO version 1.2.100 (latest), I’m on 64 bit WIN10.

Bye,
Dennis

I’m unable to reproduce your problem using the same versions of GlassWire and Windows. So, hopefully, the GlassWire team can reproduce it.

On my computers, the Mini Viewer position and size is saved on all of the following:

• Mini Viewer hide and show, as above.
  • GlassWire restart
  • Windows restart
  • Display on a second monitor
  • Change screen resolution it holds its approximate x,y location the same as the main GlassWire window. Naturally, the displayed size changes with the screen resolution.

Hi,

Thanks for trying to reproduce it but I have looked into it a bit more and I think it is a Glasswire multi-monitor bug and my toggle “Show Mini Viewer” works great for testing.

My secondary monitor (on my laptop) is positioned to the left of the my primary second display. It remembers its size and position on my primary monitor but won’t for the secondary (laptop).

More technical details of the monitors:

===============================================================
LAPTOP (LEFT) DISPLAY - VIEWER POSN/SIZE NOT REMEMBERED
Resolution        : 1920 X 1080
Left-Top          : -1920, 0
Right-Bottom      : 0, 1080
Active            : Yes
Disconnected      : No
Primary           : No
Colors            : 32
Frequency         : 60
Orientation       : Default
Maximum Resolution: 1920 X 1080
Name              : \\.\DISPLAY1
Adapter           : Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600
Device ID         : PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0416&SUBSYS_23161558&REV_06
Device Key        : \Registry\Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{C6D907DA-A560-4729-B0E9-6DA0C654ACB1}\0000
Monitor ID        : MONITOR\CMN1343\{4d36e96e-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0001
Monitor Key       : \Registry\Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e96e-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0001
Monitor String    : Generic PnP Monitor
Monitor Name      : 
Monitor Serial Number: 

PRIMARY + RIGHT DISPLAY - VIEWER POSN/SIZE IS REMEMBERED
Resolution        : 1920 X 1080
Left-Top          : 0, 0
Right-Bottom      : 1920, 1080
Active            : Yes
Disconnected      : No
Primary           : Yes
Colors            : 32
Frequency         : 60
Orientation       : Default
Maximum Resolution: 1920 X 1080
Name              : \\.\DISPLAY2
Adapter           : Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600
Device ID         : PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0416&SUBSYS_23161558&REV_06
Device Key        : \Registry\Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{C6D907DA-A560-4729-B0E9-6DA0C654ACB1}\0001
Monitor ID        : MONITOR\PHLC12E\{4d36e96e-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0002
Monitor Key       : \Registry\Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e96e-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0002
Monitor String    : Philips BDM3201FD (31.5 inch Wide LCD MONITOR BDM3201)
Monitor Name      : PHL BDM3201FD
Monitor Serial Number: AU01638000168
==================================================
1 Like

Thanks for the new info. My primary monitor is the laptop which might be why I haven’t reproduced the problem.

I should be able to find time over the weekend to reverse my set-up to match yours and see what happens.

@dbareis, your insight that it is related to your multi-monitor configuration made all the difference in reproducing three problems. @Ken_GlassWire, you should also be able to reproduce this.

I made my attached monitor (display 2) my main display:

• Windows Settings
  • System settings
  • Display settings tab
  • Select attached monitor (display 2)
  • Check “Make this my main display”

Note that I am running as extended desktop:

• Windows Settings
  • System settings
  • Display settings tab
  • Multiple displays drop-down
  • Select “Extend these displays”

1. Problems when changing Windows main display

There are various issues that occur when changing the main display.

GlassWire’s main window and the Mini Viewer window were both in the secondary display when I changed it to be the main display. Immediately, the Mini Viewer window jumped to the bottom of my new secondary window. The Mini Viewer loses its position but not its size.

When I returned to my original display configuration, the Mini Viewer remained visible but moved to the new main display. The first time the GlassWire main window and the icon in the notification area disappeared altogether from the main display.

2. Problem restarting GlassWire

I exited GlassWire using Menu | Exit with the main window and Mini Viewer windows in varying configurations. The Mini Viewer always lost size and position if it is not in the main display . It did not matter which display the main window was visible in or minimised in.

3. Problem showing and hiding Mini Viewer

When my attached monitor (display 2) is the main display and I toggle “Show Mini Viewer” from the main menu then the Mini Viewer always loses size and position which returns it to the main display in the default size and position.

Good apps will save the position of things per monitor configuration, that is as displays change you will need to position things to your liking ONCE for each change and then it will always be at your chosen place no matter what monitors are attached.

@dbareis

Sorry for the problem. We will try to get multiple monitors for one of our setups so we can recreate and fix this.

Does a clean reinstall of GlassWire make any difference or no?

I’m not sure what your definition of a clean install is but I’m guessing that it would make me lose all my data which I don’t want.

In any case this seems to have nothing to do with the install (memory) and is just plain and simply a bug. It seems to be easy to reproduce suggesting that if a reinstall fixes it then the app is correctly its storage.

The bug doesn’t seem to apply to the main application as it remembers its size and position no matter which monitor its on.

@dbareis

By clean install I mean reinstalling GlassWire and choosing its “clean” install option inside the installer. Sorry for any confusion.

Here are instructions for backing up everything before doing the clean install https://www.glasswire.com/userguide/#Backup_Settings but it’s quite a bit of work so I understand it’s probably not worth it for your situation.