More Translation

Thanks everyone for your offers!

We hope to post a public translation file at some point with instructions. Then we can add a lot more languages due to you guys supporting us.

Thank you!

1 Like

In Slovenian. I have GlassWire Elite 2.0.123 translated an tested in finished sl_sl.qm file. If You need it please, send me your e-mail for sending attached file.
Best regards
Jadran

1 Like

https://www.glasswire.com/contact/

That is very generous, thank you.

Please, send Me e-mail address where I can send you attached sl_sl.qm file. Here I can send only graphich files.
Best regards,
Jadran

I just got your email and replied, please check.

Thanks for your quick answer. I send you now My reply.
Don’t worry, Be happy :slight_smile:

With respect,
Jadran

1 Like

In any case, it would be more user-friendly to have a loaded language package that it uses (as map users only for those countries or portions of countries currently used eg Sygic navigation).

With respect,
Jadran

1 Like

Ken, I was born in Sweden but went to college for 4 years in the US so I am fluent in both languages. I would be more than happy to help out translating anything to Swedish, pro bono.

Thanks for an awesome product!

1 Like

Thanks for your offer!

We are working on a big update, so I may get in touch after that. Also I need to see how many Swedish users we have.

Of course, that makes perfect sense.

1 Like

I can do Norwegian - just let me know. I’ve worked in the localisation business for years.
How about you release your translations as a project on crowdin? It’s a nice interface and provide the invited community members with contextual descriptions (that we can add ourselves too) and other tools.

It also works with notifications in case you add new strings.

1 Like

@swoy

The reason we choose to pay for translations is because in some situations people could insert spam/bad language, etc… into translations so it’s kind of scary. We won’t know because we are in the USA and we can’t read Chinese or Japanese at all for example.

But I guess maybe with CrowdIn people will check for those issues? What popular apps use that?

Thanks for your offer to help! We trust you of course.

1 Like

Crowdin is kind of what you ask. It is self-correcting, the more translators and proofreaders you have, the better:

It can interface with stuff like GitHub too.

You can assign people to do translations. And you can assign others (from this forum that wants to, and that you trust) to proofread those translations (and do translations themselves). It’s used by many open source projects to do community translations for them). In the end, you can even pay proofreaders to go over the translations and make sure that they are adhering to your standards.

The tool also make it possible for the community to quality check itself, by inviting many from each language to perform both tasks:

Say you have 5 germans who want to help out, you can assign 3 of them a translation permit, and the other two a proofread permit. They translate and proofread (along with any disputes they may have). Then you can pay a proofreader you trust to double check if you feel you need to. If everything checks out, you know you can trust those 5 a little more the next time.

This will probably lower the cost of translations, and provide us with a chance to make the software localized into our languages.

I forgot to mention:
Crowdin also provides discussions and it logs everything anyone does, so if there are translation disputes you can easily see who did what and action any troublemakers promptly.

Another cool thing is that we as translators can work together to eliminate truncation issues; either by reading your (or community) written guidelines for a particular string, or by communicating in english to each other (using @username) in the comment section for each string.

As a last thing, it also works with project or global specific Terminology lists, so we (and you) can see what other similar translations look like, based on what has been translated in the past. I’m just touching the surface of QA-features here. You should have a look at the software to get a better picture.

1 Like

@swoy

That sounds very nice and well thought out! We’ll check it out.

My last concern is just the speed at which people will do the translation. We can pay a service and get it done relatively quickly but I worry if we depend on the “crowd” we may not have translations for weeks or months.

Does it usually get translated pretty quickly?

1 Like

That really depends on how many (or who) you get to help on a specific translation. Also, when someone request a specific language, you have the option to direct them to crowdin to help out.

If time is of the essence, I guess paying is the best bet. But then we won’t see this software localized in our language anyway, so this effort would only make sense for those languages you don’t have time/budget to hire translators for in the first place.

By using something like Crowdin, you will slowly cater for more and more languages. Of course, there might be some languages that go stale once in a while (where we lack translators or proofreaders), but this is probably expected, and if someone comes along and wants to help out in these later, they can always be added at a later time.

On my part, having GlassWire localized to Norwegian will give me two things; 1. Bragging rights because I partook in the translation. 2. The option to recommend this software to anyone who is insecure about english and would avoid it if it were untranslated.

So for Norwegian, time is not of the essence anyway. Besides, community efforts always creates ambassadors that will help out and people generally become more friendly towards the idea that they need to partake to make it happen - if that makes sense to you.

Localization will be a slowpoke in the beginning. But once a language is up to speed with source, it is easier to spot-translate source-strings as they are created by you. (And you can anyway include new translations once they are done, in your regular updates).

In the end, it is up to you how you want to deal with odd-locales, but this solution will at least let us take part in making it happen for those locales that would anyway never be included in the software.

Maybe you can do a poll to test the temperature here also, to see how many people like the idea of having their locale included, and how many would join in to help out?

1 Like

@swoy Argh, I just tried to make a poll and failed. Will read more about it and come back, or you’re also welcome to make one.

@Ken_GlassWire Sure, I will make a poll now. At least we can get a idea of what people want. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Edit: I see the real poll has already been created.

Polls are not so hard. Have a look at this example poll which is not seriously intended to be used. I’ve made the post a Wiki so you can view the text format:.

• Yes, I want to help translate GlassWire into my language. :joy:
  • Maybe, just give me time to think about it. :thinking:
  • No, I lack them motivation to translate. :tired_face:
  • No, we should speak the Queen’s English. :uk:
  • No, what’s wrong with ASCII. :us:
  • Piss off! Crikey cobber, that sounds like bloody hard yakker. :australia:

0 voters

2 Likes

I voted for ASCII. :slight_smile:

1 Like