Please do not request a higher timer resolution

While analyzing my battery consumption (on windows, execute powercfg.exe /energy), I found that Glasswire requests a significantly higher timer resolution (1ms vs. the standard 15.6ms). This impacts my battery life, and I wonder if it is really necessary? My antivirus does not need the higher resolution, and only firefox does this on my machine, though they want to move away from this as far as I remember. Perhaps it might be possible to only require the higher resolution if the GlassWire window is open?

Platform Timer Resolution:Outstanding Timer Request
A program or service has requested a timer resolution smaller than the platform maximum timer resolution.
Requested Period
Requesting Process ID
Requesting Process Path
\Device\HarddiskVolume1\Program Files (x86)\GlassWire\GlassWire.exe

Apart from this, the result also shows that the Qt5 component (Qt5Core.dll) used CPU time even though the UI was not shown. Could it be possible to only load this then GlassWire is actually shown? I understand that you might need Qt5 to show the notification icon context menu/tray icon menu, but e.g. Dropbox has a custom context menu, too, but shows lower CPU utilization in total than the Qt5 component alone.

I will discuss this with the development team and see what we can do. Thanks for your report.

May I ask what Windows version you are using? We tried to reproduce this and were unable to. Also we released a new software update today you might want to try.

I ran the report again today, and GlassWire did not request a higher timer resolution. It also seems that firefox only needs the higher resolution when Flash is used in some tab.
I am running Windows 8.1 (fully patched), and Glasswire is currently on 1.0.35b - I don’t know if this is the updated version yet. I will continue to analyze the resolution from time to time, and report back if I can circle in the trigger.
Thank you for following up with me.

1 Like