I had a Dell Inspiron 5000 series laptop running Windows 10 x64. One day I got a BSOD with a note to call the included “technical support” toll free number. I was warned not to try and reboot or do anything else before calling the tool free number for help, or I could lose my entire hdd and everything on it because I had a very bad virus infection.
So, I called the number thinking I was talking to a Microsoft technician. I was told this is a very bad infection and it could be repaired remotely but first they had to transfer me to another section for me to buy the protection. They transferred me to Software Maniacs. I was told the software protection would cost for so many years of free help, or I could pay $525 for lifetime support. So, I took the lifetime support.
Once the money was paid, I was transferred back to “tech support” and they had me use the windows key+r so they could get remote control of my machine. After that they told me it would take 25 to 30 minutes and they would have my machine fixed.
I watched the screen to see what all was being done. First 360 Total Security free version was installed and run. Then Glasswire free version was installed and run. Then CCleaner free version was installed and run. And after playing around for the allotted time, I was called back and told to reboot, and my machine would be alright.
Wonder of wonders, they were right.
But I then contacted Microsoft by chat, and they confirmed this was a scam and the number I called during the BSOD was not a Microsoft number. So I began a dispute resolution with Bank of America to try and stop the transaction. But of course they have to wait until the transaction posts before they can begin the dispute process. After a couple days went by after I began the dispute, the machine just crashed and became unusable. I believe this was retaliation for me filing the dispute, and so I would have to call them again to fix my machine. Then they would be able to contest the dispute because I used their service again.
So, anyway, there were no documents, no email confirmation of the transaction, no nothing. I can’t even prove I got the BSOD with the note to place the call. So there is little chance I will get my $525 +$10+ foreign transaction fee back. They use the bank’s regulations against them and me.
Just thought everyone would like to know so you can avoid the trap I fell in to.
Thanks for reading.