I recently noticed that a device on my network had it’s name changed in the “things” tab. I did not do this and I am unsure how this change could have occurred.
I have checked on the router and the device appears on the router as “Device 1”, but when I look at the GlassWire Things tab, I see “Device 2” where previously it said “Device 1”. I did not make this change and as previously stated, Device 1 appeared as “Device 1” both on my router and in GlassWire before today.
It also seem like other devices have been affected with the same naming errors. The mac addresses are the same on the router and GlassWire but the IP address and names are different on the devices.
No Network spoofing or other network alerts activated on GlassWire, so the cause of this issue is unknown (and a little unsettling).