Unable to uninstall GlassWire

Today GlassWire was running very slow and was unresponsive. I restarted my computer thinking that that would solve my issue, but no luck. I then decided that uninstalling and reinstalling might help me to get back to normal. However, the uninstaller has been stuck on this for nearly 30 minutes:

Aside from this my computer is operating normally. I’m running the latest version of GlassWire 1.2.64 on a Windows 10 machine. The only new thing that I’ve done with my computer is install Visual Studio 2015 yesterday. I don’t know if that has anything to do with my issue today, but you never know.

If an uninstaller fails we recommend installing our latest version, then uninstall again.

After waiting a while longer I ended the task from the task manager. I then tried to reinstall since the program does not show up under the uninstall list of the control panel. However, when attempting to install the programs says that the folder “GlassWire” already exist and asks if I would like to merge it. Should I click the “yes” option? Or delete the folder and see if that will work?

Please try deleting the folder.

I deleted the folder and was able to reinstall GlassWire. However, the software ran really slow, the menu from the task bar will not lunch. I try to uninstall buck was back to having the same issue were the progress got stuck:

What could be causing this?

@CAS We were able to recreate this problem with Windows Defender. Please check this GlassWire upgrade alert - Trouble updating to the latest version (1.2.64b)? Click here! and see if it helps.

Confirmed, real time protection (Windows Defender) appears to be the issue. I turned it off and I was able to uninstall and reinstall fine. Furthermore, the menu from the tray icon started working again. I already had all the latest Window updates, however, I rechecked again but I’m all updated. Should I active my Basic account again with GlassWire or wait to see if other issues pop-up?

2 Likes

Please activate the paid version. I think it should solve the problem until we hear something back from Microsoft (hopefully).

Hi, you can try the following way to completely uninstall Glasswire from your Windows 10.

Step1, Uninstall GlassWire with Windows Add or Remove Programs.
Right-click the icon located in the left bottom of your screen and select Control Panel.
Then click Uninstall a program under Programs.
Find out the program you want to uninstall and click Uninstall button.

Step2, Show hidden files and folders.

Right-click Start icon (In the lower left corner of screen) > Control Panel > Appearance and Personalization > File Explorer Options > View.

Tick Show hidden files, folders, and drives; uncheck Hide protected operating system files (Recommended). Then click Apply > OK button.

then navigate to C:\Program Files\Glasswire
Delete the related files and folders.

Step3. Delete all the registry entries related to GlassWire.

Open Registry Editor:

Simultaneously press Windows + R key on the keyboard.
When a dialog box pops up, type regedit into the box and click OK button to open Registry Editor.
In the opened window, simultaneously press Ctrl + F key.
After a dialog box appears, type GlassWire into the box and click Find Next button.

Delete all the associated registry files.

Repeat the above step constantly until you have deleted all the registry entries created by the .program.

1 Like