Unhelpful 'Application info changed' notifications

I would really appreciate a means to suppress certain unhelpful “crying ‘wolf’” Application info changed notifications. Particularly, pretty well every session on my computer I get an absurd pair of alerts, which are a waste of time having to look at and mark as read. Here’s my alerts record for today so far:

Now, you’ll see that a rather silly and trivial change, presumably in svchost.exe, is made and then reverted each time. I would like to be able to avoid getting those alerts while still getting other, potentially more ‘interesting’ ones. Any chance of addressing this?

Incidentally, I really like the VirusTotal reports now in the notifications - but as that means an increased number of notifications it’s all the more necessary to avoid getting any frivolous ones like the aforementioned ones.

Philip

We plan to add a “white list” of apps in the future, for developers who often change executables.

Meanwhile, what you are experiencing seems to be a bug. Perhaps you could recreate the issue and send us some logs?

https://www.glasswire.com/contact/

First create a log.conf file with Notepad with these strings inside it:

log_path=c:\programdata\glasswire\service\log
log_level_file=-1

Next:

1. Stop the GlassWire service with the task manager;
  2. Copy the log.conf file to C:\ProgramData\GlassWire\service
  3. Start the GlassWire service;
  4. Reproduce the problem;
  5. Send us the logs folder C:\ProgramData\GlassWire\service\log

Thanks

Many thanks, Ken, and I greatly appreciate your rapid response. I’ve now emailed you this morning’s log, which captured the next instance of the superfluous notifications.

The idea of a whitelist for developers who often change executables sounds to be eminently sensible, and I’d really welcome that.

Philip

@PhilipGoddard

I don’t see the log. Could you message it to me here privately? Thanks.

Sorry, Ken I just tried messaging you with that log, but it turns out that only image files are allowed to be uploaded. Also, I can’t upload it here for the same reason. When I emailed I sent to bugs@… Was that correct, or is there another email address I need to use? I’m surprised that there is still no ready means that actually works, to submit logs etc. in this forum! :slight_smile:

I’ve now got round the issue by pasting the contents of today’s log into a private message. Simple after all! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Phillip,

A quick remedy that you can use is to block Microsoft Publisher from connecting to the internet. You can do this within Glasswire Firewall tab, by finding the app, double clicking it and hitting the ‘Block App’ button. If you really think about it, Microsoft Publisher dose not need to connect to the internet at all. I had the same problem with Adobe acrobat reader, and resolved it by doing said action. Allowing these apps to connect to the internet will also allow multiple hosts within the app to suck up your internet bandwidth, which you can check when look at the usage tab within Glasswire. Trust me it will surprise you.

Thank you for that workaround, @Kungeon, and I expect to do that shortly, though just at the moment I’m allowing it to continue as it may be helpful for the GW team, who are seeking to prevent GW from giving such superfluous alerts in the first place.

…Oh, except that, on checking, I don’t find any conncection between the Windows process that has been triggering the superfluous alerts and MS Publisher. Indeed I have no firewall rules allowing MS Publisher, so I’m confident that you’ve got misled by simply seeing the word ‘publisher’ in the alerts. That is referring to the program’s publisher, not to a program called Publisher! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Your welcome Mr. Goddard, I must admit I made a mistake in misinforming you as to correct remedy and I quote: “You can do this within Glasswire Firewall tab” it should read “You can do this within Glasswire Usage tab”
If you are using MS Publisher, you will see it in the “Usage” tab within Glasswire. If you hover your mouse over the application, there you can block the app as well as see a lot of interesting information and functions that you can execute
The ‘Alerts’ part of this you should see what you called and I quote: “certain unhelpful “crying ‘wolf’” Application info changed notifications”. Simply block the app, it will not affect its functionality at all.

With all due respect Mr. Goddard, Glasswire is doing what it was designed to do, and all Microsoft applications that you use on a regular basis will always contact Microsoft for updates etc. If there are no updates you will get notifications like the one’s your getting now.

Finally please make sure that the svchost.exe file is located here c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe, Also check to see if you have another entry located here C:\Windows\Temp\svchost.exe. if you do, then you have the Svchost virus. Hope this helps!

John

C:\Windows\Temp\svchost.exe

1 Like

@Kungeon, thank you for your good intentions, but you’ve actually missed the point. The GW people themselves have actually understood me correctly and reckon that it’s a GW bug, and are working out with me a fix for it. I’m most appreciative of their responsiveness over that, as I’m sure I wouldn’t find with many other software developers.

Kind regards,
Philip

This bug is real for some people actually. It seems GlassWire is giving an alert when the file has not actually changed and we’re working with Philip to fix it for the people experiencing this problem.

I know that Ken, but as you can see from the thread , I was trying to help him and all I got was sarcasm. If he can’t send a simple log file with detailed instructions from you, how can he really use Glasswire? :face_with_raised_eyebrow: