Update the MAC address database

Suggest new features and other improvements for GlassWire.

I’ve got a fairly recent 2017-ish LG device connected to my network.
The “Things” tab “scan” does not recognize this MAC 38-8C-50-xx-xx-xx

Softperfect network scannner with up to date “oui.txt” (MAC device)
192.168.178.94 38-8C-50-xx-xx-xx 1 ms LG Electronics

“oui.txt” is from standards ieee org (maybe update that once every few months for the local glasswire user?)

1 Like

@Tikimotel

Reported. Thank you!

@Tikimotel

If you check our “Things” tab, are we showing the correct Mac Address? Please confirm, thanks.

The MAC address is correctly displayed, but the info pane says it’s “unknown”.
I was expecting “LG Electronics” there. (I’ve checked with Glasswire v2.0.105)

1 Like

Thank you. We will see if there is an update available for the database we use.

I think that this feature suggestion to improve the quality of the mac address database is probably more important to users (and visitors) than you think.

I say this because the post with the most clicked external link in this forum currently shows 1534 clicks for a mac address database. Another two of the other thirteen most clicked external links are for external links in the same topic.

You can the most clicked external links by checking the following badges and visiting the posts to see the links. The click count is displayed immediately after each link.

Famous Link

This badge is granted when a link you shared gets 1000 clicks. Wow! You posted a link that significantly improved the conversation by adding essential detail, context, and information. Great work!

Hot Link

This badge is granted when a link you shared gets 300 clicks. Thanks for posting a fascinating link that drove the conversation forward and illuminated the discussion!

@Remah

I posted a reminder for our team about this, thank you.

I’ve noticed the ongoing discussion regarding the potential addition of an OUI (Organizationally Unique Identifier) lookup feature to the Glaswire firewall product for Windows. It’s clear that this topic has garnered significant interest over the past five years, with over 2,000 views on the thread.

I wanted to express my support for this feature and highlight its importance, especially for users who are particularly focused on network security. Incorporating an OUI lookup would enable users to easily identify the manufacturers of network hardware based on the MAC addresses. This is crucial for several reasons:

1. Enhanced Security: Users can quickly detect unfamiliar or potentially malicious devices connected to their network. This is especially important in an era where security breaches are increasingly common.
  2. Network Management: For those managing large networks, this feature simplifies the process of keeping track of various devices and ensuring they are all legitimate and compliant.
  3. User Convenience: It adds an extra layer of convenience and efficiency, allowing users to quickly resolve network mysteries without needing to resort to external tools or websites.

In terms of marketability, adding an OUI lookup feature would significantly enhance the appeal of Glasswire’s product to security-conscious consumers and IT professionals. In a competitive market, features like this can be a deciding factor for potential buyers looking for comprehensive security solutions.

Given the sustained interest and the clear benefits, I hope the development team will consider implementing this feature in the near future. It would not only meet the current users’ needs but also position Glasswire as a forward-thinking leader in network security solutions.

Looking forward to seeing this feature come to life and enhancing our network security capabilities with Glasswire.

Best regards,

Anteres