Upgrading to GlassWire 2.0, tips, tricks, bug reports, feedback, and fixes

Thanks! Yes, it appears the file was in the wrong place.

ah, my bad, was looking in the wrong place

@greencatcher change hostname_enable_nslookup from true to false

1 Like

I changed it to false but it didn’t help. Still the same problem…

@greencatcher

Did you restart the GlassWire service in the task manager? Maybe also try rebooting.

These new updates are incredibly frustrating as a free user, I was planning on upgrading soon because I liked how certain features are not forced into your face like in other programs and i wanted to use the multiple locations feature, but then these updates happen and now you’ve even taken away basic features from before!

There was about 5 free themes before now I suddenly can’t use the one I was using and there’s now only 2 in which they’re literally the exact same colours. Also the firewall feature is now disabled completely for free users which is now making this program literally redundant from the offset. If you think forcing the hand will get you more purchases you are wrong, you’ve lost my purchase that’s for sure. Especially as on every tab there’s a notification saying upgrade which just makes me NOT want to upgrade, what a shame. I guess greed does this to developers, perhaps create more features instead of locking off pre-existing ones and spamming the upgrade notification on every tab.

@J_H I’m sorry to hear you think GlassWire has no value. Our 1.0 software was available to purchase for over 2 years if you had wanted to support our work.

We are not Google or Microsoft. We are a small team who spent our own money and time to create this project from scratch. We don’t have VC money, we are bootstrapped and we have real bills to pay.

We are very fortunate some people think GlassWire does have value and we appreciate the support of those people and businesses very much so we can continue to work on this project.

I hope you’ll consider supporting our hard work in the future.

3 Likes

After upgrading, some numbers are wrong.
图片

This is data of Oct 2017, the total number is wrong. Data from other time is correct.
Is there any way to look into the data file manually? Thank you!

@euclidean

If you go to the top left GlassWire menu and choose “About” what version do you see? Our previous 2.X version has a bug with this that’s fixed with our latest version.

https://www.glasswire.com/changes/

图片

Just updated.

@Servo_GlassWire The latest version.

@euclidean

I think if you clear your stats the stats going forward will be accurate. If they are not, let me know the details so we can investigate. The previous version of 2.0 had an error with the stats for some people.

I also have this problem. Trying latest 2.0.84.
Tried an hour ago so should be latest version.
There is nothing special about my system. maybe “VPN unlimited”? don’t think so.
Is there a log I might check?
GwCtrlservice stuck “starting” and frontend cannot connect of course.
I tried to completely remove the old version. Deleted folder and rebooted. No luck. Tried install several time.
Back to 1.2.121 works fine

@Uli.Herrmann

Are you using a third party uninstaller? Sometimes it won’t remove our service, so it causes this problem.

Right click the Windows taskbar and choose “task manager” then click “services” then you’ll see “GlassWire”. Right click it and choose “stop” now uninstall GlassWire in add/remove programs only, then reboot and reinstall our latest version with the “clean” option if you can afford to lose your settings/stats. If not you can back them up first like this: https://www.glasswire.com/userguide/#Backup_Settings

No, there is no 3rd party uninstaller neither one of those snake-oil virus scanners (except the windows defender).
service was stopped and deleted and settings/stats were deleted (I guess because I deleted the whole Program Files/Glaswire Tree. (nothing left).
I might try to check the “clean install” anyway - maybe there some registry hooks.

Thanks - the “Clean Install” really did the trick! Stop service and delete folder was not enough.
I tried 3 times before
Thanks again! Looks good now

1 Like

@Servo_GlassWire
I don’t think it’s a solution. I have several months’ history of stats on my computer, I’d like to keep them other than clear everything once there is problem.

@euclidean

You’re absolutely right. I thought perhaps you were a new customer.

By the way, here is how to back up your settings/history just in case something could happen in the future.
https://www.glasswire.com/userguide/#Backup_Settings

I will ask if there is some way to edit the data file manually. I apologize for this problem.

1 Like

@Ken_GlassWire
Thank you.
By the way I found another tricky problem.
Because there are so many rules in my glasswire firewall(same as showed in windows firewall page), I manually deleted all the rules in glasswire(how to automaticly clean rules without wipe everything else is another client demand from what I suffered…)
But…after I deleted almost all the rules in glasswire(maybe 20 of them stayed at last), there are still a bunch of rules in windows firewall.

From the numbers you can imagine how many there are.
It seems Glasswire only deactivate the rules I deleted from Glasswire, I suppose it should also delete the rules from Windows Firewall?

@Ken_GlassWire
And I tried to delete Windows Firewall rules and even reset the Windows Firewall. After that, Glasswire will wake up Windows Firewall service and Base Filter Engine, and after 15mins high CPU consuming, all the rules come back to Windows Firewall…

@euclidean

I can recommend a couple solutions.

1. Reinstall GlassWire over itself using its new “reset firewall” option in its installer.

2. Go to the Windows Firewall control panel and choose “restore defaults” then reinstall GlassWire with the “reset firewall” option checked.

Or go through the rules manually and remove the ones you don’t want, then reinstall GlassWire with the “reset firewall” option checked.