Version 3.3.630 (November 22, 2023)

Thank you to the GW team for some long ago ask additions to the software.

1. You can now export traffic usage from GlassWire to a csv file for the Usage Table.

2. Windows Firewall rules will no longer be created for applications that are removed from GlassWire.

It’s a good start, but the process of removing hundreds of old entries from GlassWire is rather painful.

1 Like

Hi ittroll,
I hear your pain, for me this time around, i will just use the restore windows firewall default settings and Clean Install. Yes i know you loose the DB info, but will start fresh going forward, with out the left over firewall data.

The trouble is, old versions will still build up as inactive apps over time. You will still need to be diligent in manually removing these from GlassWire in order for the corresponding firewall rule to be removed.

If the inactive apps were sorted correctly by version number, and it was possible to multi-select for deletion, this process would be less of a chore.

Ideally, GlassWire should recognise when a new version might replace an old and offer to delete the old version. Perhaps using a tick box on the Allow/Deny pop-up.

Click the X to the right of Inactive Apps?

Or is there something more you’re looking for?

Not having to do it 200 times and confirm it each time. Also being able to easily tell which is the current version so I don’t delete that one. Or even better, that these duplicates are intelligently managed automatically.

I have tried to request a feature to delete orphaned entries. If an entry leads to a non-existent file, glass wire could give us a feature to purge old entries or orphaned entries. I lean more on the ladder to take care of everything. I know people want that to be automatic, but at least give us an option to better manage this. I am not sure if hundreds of entries make turning the firewall off and on so damn slow. I have had lots of firewalls over the years and sadly they are mostly all defunct, but none of them were this slow at turning on and off the firewall. This was with much older and slower hardware mind you. Some were worse at making it hard to do so, glasswire makes it easy, which is nice. Still, slow is slow.

I am hoping glasswire can give us a quality of life improvement here to manage this without such a tedious hassle. It would just have to check if the entry it points to exists, if not, purge it. It could be intelligent, or give us a list for us to break down and choose through or it could be a plain option to remove old entries. Any option would be great tbh.

2 Likes

I’m not having to click to remove those similar entries on mine? Sorry if I’m missing what you’re talking about.

I’m attaching a screenshot to show where that little X is to the right of Inactive Apps, circled in red. I click that, confirm the prompt, and they’re all gone.

@Jeordie I believe this will apply to you as well.

Screenshot 2023-12-02 001437

The trouble with that option is it deletes everything in that category. Inactive doesn’t necessarily mean unwanted. What is unwanted is all the duplicate entries for previous versions which result in slow firewall operations.

I also have a build up of duplicates in my Blocked category (e.g. ~50 for Nvidia driver components). I really don’t want to nuke everything. But that seems a common answer for GlassWire, just delete it all and start again.

The manual solution would be to list the version as a column, sort the entries in that order, and allow you to shift-select multiple entries. A better solution would be to have a preference check box on the Allow/Block button which give the option to automatically delete the old entries for the same app.

Just because an app isn’t running, doesn’t mean I want to wipe out all rules and have to click yes to everything all over again. I have done it before, but I think glasswire could at least provide some tools to clean up the rule list. Especially if it leads to slow performance of turning off and on the firewall. I would rather have it optimized to start up and protect.

The idea is, if you have rules pointing to a file that no longer exists, I would love an option to wipe out those orphaned entries. There are many ways to manage the list and keep it optimized and smaller.
I hate seeing entries to installers that no longer exist and all these entries accumulating. Just having easier ways to manage it, rather than wipe them all out and start again seems like a good approach. Even a better select many to purge as ittroll suggested would be a huge quality of life improvement.

1 Like

I understand, totally. I honestly miss using Agnitum Outpost Firewall Pro. It was amazing and they would add in features people asked for very quickly. Including what you guys are asking for. Unfortunately that firewall was purchased and absorbed by Yandex. Glasswire is the closest thing I’ve found since. Thankfully they listen to feedback so this feature should appear soon.

2 Likes

Since that update GlassWire app is crashing randomly and resetting any app version to 0.0.0 and then stops to responding. It will not notify that is “offline” until I will check what is the status and there will be link to restart GlassWire.

Also, it looks like it stops monitor the traffic after computer will go into “sleep mode” (not hibernate - simple Windows will trigger screensaver and put disk operations to low level) and user will woke up. To get it back it requires to restart whole computer as reloading the app is not solving that issue.

It looks like traffic issue persist in 5 minutes view

YES - please help us auto delete or bulk select to delete orphaned entries.

1 Like

In the absence of a better solution, I hit the nuclear delete all button on my inactive apps. This cleaned up the corresponding firewall entries which made a big improvement to the processing time for firewall operations. However, a month on I am still having to reapprove apps/components which whilst inactive at the time, are still required. This really needs improvement.