Weird Unknown Device

Hello! I hope you are having a nice day.

So I was checking my Devices, and I found one that I couldn’t identify, I checked all my devices and I named all of them that I checked, but there is one that I can’t identify.

I was hacked before so I’m paranoid that its a virus of some sort.
Thank you again!

In Addition to this, glasswire found the IP of a phone correctly, but the MAC Address is off.

If you count all the devices on the network, could it be something you know about? If not you could reset your WiFi password to solve the issue.

Ok, thank you, I have done the following.
It turns out it is my mom’s phone that is a Google Pixel 2.

Any idea why it has random MAC Addresses and random IP’s?
Glasswire showed 2 entries for this 1 device.

Is the randomized Mac address feature turned on?

1 Like

For some medical cybersecurity it is important to have proper security for safety of records.

Once you’re hacked, you can never fully delete it … you can’t get it out of your brain!

Got hacked and my AV didn’t catch anything. One thing I learned from GW monitoring is that if you have a good AV, every time you scan it will show up on GW as a new contact. If that doesn’t happen and your AV is recognized as an old contact, then your AV isn’t elusive enough and hackers can defeat it!

So how many AV scans have this elusive capability? You can test them … not many!

I had an odd experience over seven years ago, sitting reading an article in jstor when my mouse begins to move for no reason, opens my virus/security application (ESET) at that time, and changed the password. I sat in my chair and watched laughing. I quickly disconnected the ethernet and reconfigured my network, uninstalled ESET, and never happened again.

There is no way anyone could have figured out my ESET password and I had no viruses on the system. Heck I even have a program that encrypts each keystroke made on the keyboard. Additionally, my home network is secure and has multiple sandboxes before reaching a functional system. Later I discovered that ESET had a backdoor in their program that was exploited by someone from their development team who accessed the system.

2 Likes

I also discovered I was hacked while using my computer. There’s a lot of debate on what to do with your computer when you’re not using it, but I think it’s better to shut down at night. If the hackers had done the same thing at night, I never would have known it.

You’re safe if you are not reliant on a third-party security system that replaces the windows security subsystem. I was an enthusiastic fan of ESET, due to the firewall features, until that event occurred. I only used them on my personal systems. Still, there are espionage tools that subvert any security.

I do not use glasswire, I use the graph. glasswire security and features are crap.

1 Like

Computer security exists mostly between the ears.

Being aware of everything that is running on your computer and making network connections is an important part of that. Every installer here goes through a VirusTotal scan before it is installed. I also use Sysinternals Process Explorer and Autoruns to submit hashes of all installed processes, drivers, services, scheduled tasks, etc. to VirusTotal. That only takes a minute or so to check on demand.

Plus Glasswire also sends a file hash to VirusTotal any time a program makes a first network connection attempt. Available in Glasswire Pro settings.

Since VirusTotal uses 60+ AV engines to validate these items, I consider it much better than relying on only a single AV engine running locally. However, I do use Windows Defender for that.

Glasswire makes it very easy to review what your computer apps have connected to and what type of traffic it was. Highly useful way to keep tabs on things.

2 Likes

I think the usage tab is more useful but the graph is definitely cool.