This is a new poll for anti-virus/anti-malware (AV) apps running on Android devices.
Please select one publisher. If you have to choose “Other” then please post the name of the AV app you are using::
- 360 Mobile Security
- Doctor Web (Dr.Web)
- ESTsoft (Dr. Capsule)
- Hawk App (Super Cleaner)
- Hi Security
- Psafe (dfndr)
- Symantec (Norton)
- TAPI Security Labs
- Tencent (WeSecure)
- Trend Micro
This list is based on the following criteria for each publisher’s most downloaded app:
- Security and performance is important so I chose publisher that have their main AV app score at least 90% in the 2019 AV Comparatives test of about 250 apps using 2018 malware.
- More than 10 million downloads in Google Play store.
- Google Play store rating above 4.0 plus other reputation checks.
If some of the options in this poll are not selected by anyone - it is possible to have high downloads but low usage - then I will probably remove them in the next poll. Then I can add other AVs that people mention which satisfy the other two criteria.
You should be careful when you are choosing an Android antivirus as the above testing revealed - Fake and bad Android AV apps:
- Don’t rely on download and review numbers. The most downloaded AV app has more than 100 million downloads but failed the test.
- For the same reason, don’t rely on ratings. Most people cannot tell whether their AV app is or is not protecting them. Some are paying for an app that doesn’t actually scan any files or downloads.
- Many publishers have more than one app. They can be almost exactly the same or they can be quite different so different apps from the same publisher can be much less effective.
- Some publishers are difficult to check because they only have an email contact and no website.