What is this remote desktop

Why am I connecting to a remote desktop when I turn on my computer?
Is it a virus or what could it be? How can this be fixed?

@Vidali

GlassWire detects RDP connections.

Go to our top left menu and choose “settings” if you don’t want to be alerted about RDP connections to your PC.

is it a virus or not?

@Vidali

No. It would mean someone is connecting to your PC and control it remotely using Windows Remote Desktop Services.

If you disable it, does the alert go away?

It is likely to be Remote Desktop listening for connections on your network.

You can check and see if Remote Desktop is enabled. If it is enabled then you can disable it:

Disable Windows Remote Desktop to Prevent Attacks (lifewire.com)

1 Like

That the 0.0.0.0 address is complicated is best explained by Wikipedia: “The address 0.0.0.0 is a non-routable meta-address used to designate an invalid, unknown or non-applicable target. This address is assigned specific meanings in a number of contexts…” As for how many contexts there could be, my Uncle Rufus said it best: A whole outhouse full.

In those links from Ken_Glasswire and Remah, it’s odd the “Don’t Allow Remote Connections to This Computer” box isn’t shown in the Lifewire screenshot. Anyhow, if changing the System Properties settings under Remote doesn’t work, the following will dig deeper under the hood…

Open your Start menu and type services in the search field. Under Programs, right click Services and select Run as administrator. Continue and allow through any prompts until the Services panel opens. (Unfortunately, if Windows won’t allow this access under your account permissions, you’re out of luck in this process. Read my last paragraph.)

Scroll down to “Remote Desktop Services” and double click it. If the Service status is Running, click on Stop.

The startup type default setting is Manual. If it’s Automatic, something changed it.

Regardless of the type at this point, click on the down caret and select Disabled.

Reboot and see if your Remote Desktop connects are gone.

If so, any software you run using the service will soon reveal itself by not running or displaying errors. Reset Remote Desktop Services to what the startup was and click start. You shouldn’t need to reboot. Then you can contact the software developer for details about those connections.

In either the System Properties or Services methods, if the Remote Desktop connects are still there, the service was re-enabled and re-started. Without an audit of your system a quick resolution is improbable. As well, it’s unlikely this forum is the best venue.

As you fail to mention your Windows version, I’ll take a guess it’s 10 Home. This is about the best:
https://www.tenforums.com/

The default Microsoft remote desktop process is loading automatically whenever you are starting your PC. You need to disable the service by going to Run-> services.msc and disable the same. Remote desktop service will automatically get enabled whenever you will be using remote desktop tools like logmein, R-HUB remote support servers, Teamviewer etc.

It,s not a virus. Remote Desktop is a client application that allows a “client” computer to connect to a “host” computer from a remote location. Users can then control and use the applications and files on the host device from anywhere.

1 Like