I finally got around to creating a new poll for anti-virus/anti-malware (AV) products running on Windows computers.
Select up to three of these AV publishers:
If you can’t find your publisher in the poll then check “Other” and add a post/reply to tell us the publisher/product name. I apologise but the maximum number of poll options is much less than the number of AV publishers.
Differences from the 2018 Windows AV poll are as follows:
- One poll instead of four because I now use publishers instead of products which are too many to keep up with, e.g. ESET has at least eleven products, Avast/AVG at least eight, and so on.
Three votes as some users have mentioned using three products.
I could have limited this to online scanners only except there are many useful free offline scanners, e.g. VirusTotal which I’ve chosen to add because it is an AV feature in GlassWire itself.
- Each vote is now public so others can see what you have voted for.
Publishers rather than products. I’ve included those with more than 2% global market share The most useful statistics were from sources like https://metadefender.opswat.com/reports/anti-malware-market-share#!/
However, none of the sources were entirely satisfactory because they usually omit Windows Defender and appear to be biased towards the US and English-speaking users. So I included Qihoo 360 as the most obvious example of this.
- I removed polls by license type because of the following reasons:
- People were confused by the license types. Trialware (paid products with a free trial period) was removed because that confused people. Freeware was removed because, apart from Microsoft and Avast, their products tend to have low market share. Microsoft has the default Windows option which is a magnitude more popular than than the next; and Avast which is nearly a magnitude more popular than any of the rest.
- I changed to use the publisher names so distinguishing products by license is no longer practical. I only include the antivirus name in parentheses if that is more commonly used without the publisher’s name.