[wishlist] Per app bandwidth limiting

+1 for the feature.
Would like to see such feature as well…

Being able to shape and manipulate traffic is a lot different than just watching it.

A large majority of apps/games/programs that use a substantial amount of data already support this internally.

What would be a real world application of this?

Thanks,
Matt

I am not sure if I understand all of the requirements but for many people this sounds very much like QoS to me?

While I agree, I also doubt that many home router users understand QoS and how to manage it. Would that put Glasswire within their purview – I think that’s open to question also.

In short: Software Based QoS targeted at non-hardware savvy people who want to multitask on their crap internet connection better.

Which is easier for the uninitiated: Purchasing and setting up a DD-WRT router and implementing custom QOS rules or installing an application and changing numbers in a box next to an application name?

Which is easier to perform/less interruptive on the fly for a power user: opening an application GUI and changing a number in a box, or logging into a router, changes QoS rules and probably restarting it?

Older thread about this: [Feature Request] Application Speed Limiting/Bandwith Management

Sorry for the necropost, almost 3 years later this is still a feature i’d like to see implemented in the free/paid version :stuck_out_tongue:

Would you add this feature or never ?

We may add it someday, but it’s not trivial to add unfortunately.

It would be a very useful feature for me too! :wink:

If you can limit programs by kb/s, then you can stop certain applications from hogging all of the bandwidth without stopping them entirely. Pretty much any downloader is a good example of this; if I want to update Photoshop, the Adobe application manager will use all available bandwidth for the download. If I want to play online games at the same time, I have to cancel the download. If I could limit the bandwidth of the downloader, I could do other things at the same time without having to manually open/close/block/unblock thing.

@codeknight

Thanks for explaining how it’s useful!

The feature sounds like a good idea, but I wonder if that would be a task best served by a firewall?

As mentioned previously, this sounds similar to QoS or traffic shaping in the router. But this request is based on per application, rather than packet type. So agree it doesn’t sound trivial.