2 devices connected to my network that I dont know about

Hello,

I just scanned my network and the software told me that there are two other devices, unknown to me that are connected to my network. How can I learn more about those two devices please ?

Also I am not very techsavvy.

Regards,

1 Like

Hi Pampam,

Here’s what Microsoft Copilot (i.e., Bing AI) suggests with step by step instructions.

Caveat: the forum wouldn’t let me post the source / reference articles because new users can’t post links apparently. :crazy_face:

So, I saved the links to a document as well as my email. If you’d like them, feel free to send me a direct message & I’ll give them to you that way.

Hope this helps!

For someone who’s not tech-savvy and wants to investigate unknown devices on their home network, here’s a simplified step-by-step guide:

1. Check the Device List on the Router:

• Access the router’s web interface by typing the router’s IP address into a web browser.

• Navigate to the “Device List” or “Connected Devices” section to see all devices connected to the network.

2. Identify Devices by MAC Addresses:

• Every device has a unique identifier known as a MAC address.

• Compare the MAC addresses listed in the router’s interface with the MAC addresses of known devices.

3. Use Network Scanning Tools:

• Tools like Wireless Network Watcher for Windows can scan the network and provide a list of connected devices.
  4. Turn Off Known Devices:

• Temporarily turn off known devices to see if the unknown devices disappear from the network list.
  5. Check for Unauthorized Access:

• If an unknown device is still connected, it might be using the network without permission.

• Change the Wi-Fi password and monitor if the device reconnects.

6. Update Security Settings:

• Ensure the router’s firmware is up to date.

• Use strong, unique passwords for both the Wi-Fi network and the router’s admin interface.

• Consider enabling network encryption (WPA2 or WPA3) and disabling WPS (Wi-Fi Protected Setup).

7. Consult the Community or a Professional:

• If uncertainty persists, seek advice from the Glasswire community forum or a professional technician.

ALSO: To investigate unknown devices on your network, you can follow these steps:

1. Check Devices Using Your Router’s Web Interface:

• Open a web browser and enter your router’s IP address.

• Navigate to the “Device List” or “Connected Devices” section.

• View a list of connected devices with details.

2. Use Command Line Tools:

• For Windows, open Command Prompt and enter arp -a.

• For Mac or Linux, open Terminal and enter arp -a or arp -n.

• This will display the ARP (Address Resolution Protocol) table, showing IP addresses and corresponding MAC addresses of devices on the network.

3. Identify the Unknown Device Hostname Using its IP Address:

• Once you have the IP address, you can sometimes determine the device type or owner by its hostname.
  4. Use Network Scanning Tools:

• Tools like Angry IP Scanner or Nmap can scan your network and provide a list of all connected devices, along with their IP addresses.

If an unknown device is still not identified after following the steps I provided earlier, you might want to consider these additional actions:

1. Check the MAC Address:

• Every device has a unique MAC address. You can look up the MAC address online to identify the manufacturer, which might give you a clue about the type of device.
  2. Change Your Wi-Fi Password:

• If you suspect an unauthorized device is connected, change your Wi-Fi password immediately to prevent further access.
  3. Disable DHCP:

• By disabling DHCP and setting up static IP addresses for your devices, you can control which devices are allowed on your network.
  4. Monitor Network Traffic:

• Use network monitoring tools to observe the data packets sent by the unknown device. This might give you insights into the nature of the device.
  5. Consult Your ISP or a Professional:

• If you’re still concerned, contact your Internet Service Provider (ISP) or a cybersecurity professional for assistance⁔⁶.

Remember, maintaining network security is crucial to protect your personal information and devices from unauthorized access.

1 Like