9 easy ways to disable all the built-in ads in Windows 10, no downloads required

I found this cool page that explains how to disable all the built-in ads in Windows 10 if anyone is interested.

Apparently now there are lock screen ads, recommended apps in the start menu, pop-ups in the notification area, ads in Windows File Explorer, Live Tile ads, Windows Ink Workspace ads, and Cortana bounces in the taskbar to get your attention.

Pretty crazy stuff! :astonished:

I have not seen this myself I guess because I use a paid business version of Windows 10. For those who are using a free Windows 10 version I hope this helps you get rid of those annoying built-in ads!

The nice thing about this page is that you just need to change some settings in Windows itself. No downloads or weird blocking of hosts are required that can cause you unexpected technical issues later.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip Ken !
I’m not a user of Win 10 (for the moment) but i posted your link on Promo2Day (https://www.promo2day.com/showthread.php?tid=34655&pid=133023#pid133023)y)

1 Like

@Belga

Thanks for sharing this useful article originally made by FaqForge!

Here are some more ways to disable built-in ads

Remove ads from the Lock screen
On the Lock screen, Windows 10 displays advertisements in two different ways: through Windows spotlight and using your own custom background.

While you can’t disable ads when using Windows spotlight, you can choose to show a custom background picture or slideshow, which includes an option to prevent Windows 10 and Cortana from showing ads on the Lock screen.

To remove ads from the Lock screen, do the following:

• Open Settings.
  • Click on Personalization.
  • Click on Lock screen.
  • In the Background drop-down menu, select Picture or Slideshow.
  • Turn off the Get fun facts, tips, and more from Windows and Cortana on your lock screen toggle switch.

Remove ads for the Start menu
Microsoft has found a sneaky way to monetize the Start menu. They’re not called “ads,” they’re called “suggested” apps, and it’s a mean for Microsoft to lure users into getting apps and services through the Windows Store based on your behavior using the operating system.

To remove ads from Start menu, do the following:

Open Settings.
Click on Personalization.
Click on Start.
Turn off the Occasionally show suggestions in Start toggle switch.

Regards,
Rick Bale