Any network experts on here?

So quite a few unrelated processes have been connecting to this ip address including glasswire

I looked it up on whois and apparently its google, but abuseipdb and virustotal think its a bit sketchy what is you guys thoughts?

When i do a netstat and look in glasswire at the processes they dont show this ip anywhere.

I’m not an “expert” but I’ll take a run at it…

The local and remote IP addresses shown here are the same. Why? There are a couple of Avast modules connecting there. I used Avast years ago, and seem to recall it used some sort of web proxy to inspect web traffic.

Are you running any AV software with web protection or another firewall that might be masking your computer’s real IP address. The local address in that list should ordinarily be an address assigned on your local network by your router, such as 192.168.x.x.

I see, that would make sense to be fair, but I don’t think its AV because I’m not using it anymore and its still like that, I just thought it just looked strange is all.

Yes, that is very strange indeed, and does not look normal at all!

You should be seeing your local network address in the column “Local Address”.

You can locate it using any of the following: Settings Menu, Control Panel, or Command Prompt. Instructions can be found here: https://www.howtogeek.com/723838/how-to-find-your-ip-address-on-a-windows-10-pc/

My LAN adapter results look like this when I enter “ipconfig” at the Windows command prompt:
Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi 6:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::cb2d:8396:fc09:a2c2%32
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.7
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

So I generally see 192.168.1.7 or 127.0.0.1 (local loopback) for all local processes, and the remote addresses are generally a real public IP except for the ones using a local loopback.

See that’s what i thought, maybe its something to do with TCPview? idk, I always thought local IP addresses where like 127.0.0.1 or 192.168.0.1 or even just your computers name. Would be helpful if we could get someone more knowledgeable here

Whatever it is, I doubt that it’s being caused by GlassWire. Some detective work is needed on your computer to isolate the problem.

It seems that you are using TcpView.

Can you do the “Options/Resolve Addresses” setting ?

Everything seems to look normal there today, I just thought it was a bit weird before is all.

I would just be guessing at what caused that, as I have no idea.

But something was clearly causing interference… So if it happened to me, here is what I would do:

1. Open Network and Internet Settings > Change Adapter Options (Advanced Network Settings) > Disable all adapters except for the one that I know I’m using, e.g., Wi-Fi or Ethernet, etc.

2. Uninstall GlassWire

3. Reboot the computer

4. Clean install GlassWire by selecting the options in the installer to (a) “Restore Windows Firewall to Default Settings” and (b) “Clean Install (Clear Data and Settings)”.

If that doesn’t work, I would uninstall any other third party security, VPN, firewall, etc. programs that might be interfering. Just test GlassWire with Windows Defender and Windows Defender Firewall enabled.

it forward to some captive portal detector which tests whether the wifi network connection requires you to log in to be used.