Changing Firewall settings unresponsive

Hi,

changing firewall settings is extremely unresponsive. Everytime I change a firewall setting (e.g. turn on/off firewall | Switch mode “Click to connect”). I am seeing the three dots progress indicator for a long time > 15minutes until the setting is applied. Often the progress indicator gets totally stuck and doesn´t come back at all. Also restarting the GlassWire Control Service is not working as long as the UI is in progress. This makes the firewall almost unusable.

I noticed this for a long time now. I have a Thinkpad P52 notebook workstation running Windows 10 Pro. I already noticed that also on another Thinkpad W540 notebook workstation.

I already reset the windows firewall to the default and did a clean reinstall of GlassWire 2.3.321 without any improvement. Changing the firewall settings in Defender directly is performant without any wait time.

Sorry for the issue. Do you have any other firewall software installed simultaneously with ours? I ask because sometimes these other apps can change our rules forcing GlassWire to change back its own rules (to protect you), and this can cause an unusually large number of rules.

This large number of rules can cause the firewall to be slow to turn on/off, and to change modes.

If you don’t need your current rules I can give instructions on how to reset them. Then the issue should be solved (if you don’t have another firewall installed that continues to interfere with our rules).

This is still the case with the latest release. How can this be resolved finally? I cannot reset rules every x months. Currently I am waiting several minutes when switching firewall on/off or changing the mode (e.g. from Ask to connect to … and vice versa)

This is apparently still the case. Suggest sending email to GW support.

Dear Participants,

Thank you for this thread. I hope you are all doing great these days.

At the moment our only advice is to simply reinstall GlassWire with the “clear install” checked.

As more apps are known by Glasswire, as more Firewall rules it creates. Rules creation is a difficult operation for the Firewall API provided by Windows and as a result, if there are many apps, Firewall enabling/disabling may take some time. We are analyzing ways of optimizing this, but at the moment we are still struggling in finding a good solution.

Thanks you so much for your patience and understanding.

Best regards!