Create "Rules" in "click-to-allow"

Hi All,

Been using Glasswire for a while now, but only just noticed the “click-to-allow” functionality. This is really great and turns the product into the closest thing to a traditional software firewall as well as all of the other things it can do.

I run a Plex Media Server, which obviously requires communication on ports to the outside world, but I also want to block traffic on ports that shouldn’t be communicating. Unfortunately, when in “click-to-allow” mode, I cannot for the the life of me figure out how to create permanent rules to allow network traffic inbound. The “click-to-allow” rules seem to be only set for outbound traffic.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Best,

@Skatman

GlassWire shows ports, but we don’t block/allow certain ports yet. We’re working on host blocking, and perhaps we can add port blocking at that time.

For our “Ask to connect” feature https://www.glasswire.com/userguide/#Firewall_Tab it allows incoming and outgoing traffic, both.

Thanks Ken,

How come when I turn the Firewall module of GlassWire on, it automatically blocks all traffic to my Plex Server; despite the fact that I’ve said “allow”. My assumption here is that I’ve “allowed” the server to reach out to Plex for things like updates, but when I reach in to Plex, that’s a separate connection that GlassWire hasn’t “allowed”. Does it prompt for inbound connections; as I’m yet to see any.

Best,

I’m not familiar with Plex Server. Is it software on your local PC, or is it a software on another PC or is it another hardware? I want to be sure I understand.

It’s Software on my PC. It connects to a web-based service which essentially acts as a DDNS server and allows me to connect to it from anywhere in the world (providing I have connectivity). The Server then transcodes media files across the internet to which ever device I’m using to connect.

If you go to our Firewall tab, does it show that software as blocked or not? What mode is your Firewall set to? If you set to “Click to block” does it make any diffference?

I recall others using Plex with GlassWire and I believe there are no compatibility issues. I just did a search and found some other Plex related threads about other things, but they did not mention any firewall issues.

From the info given here I assume that the question is regarding how to use GlassWire to manage “Inbound” rules for traffic reaching the server.

GlassWire uses the Windows firewall. and the default state for “Inbound” connections in Windows is “blocked” (inbound connections that do not match a rule are blocked).

As far as I know GlassWire only creates custom firewall rules for “Outbound” connections.

1 Like

Sorry for the late response. And by late I mean 7 months old.

But yes, your presumption was correct. Is Glasswire “firewall” basically just a fancy interface for Windows then? Don’t get me wrong, I know that it does other things, but the actual firewall part is just the Windows Firewall? If I create a custom rule in the Windows Firewall to allow inbound traffic, will that still be the case if I turn the Glasswire Firewall on?

Best,

I believe that your assumption about GlassWire creating rules in the Windows Firewall is correct. There is always an option to reset those rules to default in every GW update installer.

I like that because creating rules in Windows FW is/was a big PITA. :smiley:

But I am not sure why you would want to allow unsolicited inbound traffic.That is a firewall’s primary task to block that, otherwise your security is compromised.

It’s not too bad these days. I mean, it’s not ideal it still follows a “wizard” rather than just letting you crack on, but it certainly isn’t the experience it used to be. lol

As per initial post (It has been 7 months, I’ll let you off :smiley:), I’m hosting a Plex Media Server and it requires inbound connections to work unfortunately.

I’m hosting a Plex Media Server and it requires inbound connections to work unfortunately.

I hope that’s internal, private network traffic only!

Edit: Never mind. I just read where you mentioned you need to access this server from the internet. I suppose if you are using a private router, you could set up port forwarding at the router level for the necessary port, and let the hardware firewall take care of blocking the unused ports. Then allow all inbound traffic at the server level (no software firewall, unless you find one that can configure ports). Risky, but that might work.

1 Like