Dashlane and Glasswire

Greetings All,

Does anyone else here have issues with Dashlane Password Manager and Glasswire? If I set Glasswire to “Ask to Connect” every time Dashlane does a silent update Glasswire blocks the connection. I have even done a rule within Windows Defender Firewall itself to specifically allow connections from the following:

"%AppData%/Dashlane/Dashlane.exe

%AppData%/Dashlane/Dashlaneplugin.exe"

But I still have issues with Dashlane and Glasswire. Very frustrating. Side note if I change from “Ask to connect” to always allow or whatever it is Glasswire loses settings and I have to do a complete reinstall. This issue has persisted since the release of 2.0.

I have never seen this problem reported before.

If your rules are not working for GlassWire you should try a clean reset. Uninstall GlassWire in add/remove programs, then go to your “Windows Firewall” control panel and choose “restore defaults”.

Next reboot (important!).

Now reinstall GlassWire with its “clean install” and “reset firewall” options checked. Did it fix it?

I see you mentioned doing a reinstall, but I am recommending a completely clean reinstall. Thanks.

So I can finally reply, took some waiting to get see if your steps above helped. My last reinstall of Glasswire went as you had outlined above. Reinstalled Dashlane and waited. While waiting I saw a previous post about Glasswire blocking installers without asking and I am now wondering if the two might be related.

Dashlane starts with Windows and if there is a new version it downloads the new version and installs silently in the background. Glasswire when run in “Ask to connect” mode seems to deny the new installer from running, as in it keeps on asking the user if it should allow the connection. This despite the fact that it was previously allowed and that in Windows Firewall I have specified the rules as mentioned in the first post. What I have noted with Dashlane is that version string changes as it should and since it is using Amazon cloud to upload logs those IP’s it connects to are always different and I suspect thats why Glasswire is seeing it as a new connection all the time which then causes the installer to fail. I am not sure how else to explain this problem sadly :(.

@anakha56

Do you use Dropbox? I do. Dropbox also has a silent background installer, but I have seen no problems with using it with GlassWire’s “Ask to connect” mode.

If you use “Click to block” mode with GlassWire do you still experience the issue?

I personally have never experienced GlassWire blocking an installer without asking, but maybe Dashlane does something unusual somehow? Do you use any other third party software that may be interfering with the Windows Firewall API?

Nope, dont use Dropbox.

If I run “Click to block” Dashlane works perfectly.

I use a combination of Windows Defender + Malwarebytes Premium and Glasswire Elite. I am not sure how to go about troubleshooting this issue if I am honest.

@anakha56

Are you using our latest software? We recently changed how GlassWire looks at new/changing apps. Perhaps another clean install would help with our latest update.

“Glasswire when run in “Ask to connect” mode seems to deny the new installer from running, as in it keeps on asking the user if it should allow the connection. This despite the fact that it was previously allowed and that in Windows Firewall I have specified the rules as mentioned in the first post. What I have noted with Dashlane is that version string changes as it should and since it is using Amazon cloud to upload logs those IP’s it connects to are always different and I suspect thats why Glasswire is seeing it as a new connection all the time which then causes the installer to fail.”

This is probably a dumb question, but if you “allow” the connections does it work properly?

I made sure to download the latest version last week but I will gladly give it another run for research purposes :).

No such thing as a dumb question :). If I allow the connection it works for that instance only next update I have a problem again. Case in point, I reinstalled Dashlane this afternoon, the version installer I have downgraded what was partially installed from the last update (so from 5.16 it went back to 5.15) and left it. Came back to my PC only to see Glasswire had blocked the application despite it being unblocked before I left my PC.

I will redo the Glasswire install but I will do an additional run with my Revo Uninstaller just to make sure it all gets cleaned up. Any other suggestions please ask :).

@anakha56

Be sure and use add/remove programs to remove GlassWire first before running Revo. Since GlassWire uses a driver, third party uninstallers can often cause our software to fail to uninstall properly and it makes it difficult to reinstall in some cases.

Well the uninstall and re-install for both Glasswire and Dashlane went smoothly and I noticed something during an update to Dashlane. Glasswire saw the new update as a completly new program hence the reason why it would ask for permission to connect if set to “Ask to connect”. I have screenshots if you think that would be helpful?

1 Like

@anakha56

Please email the screenshots, thanks!
https://www.glasswire.com/contact/