Duplicate traffic size on VPN connections

Hi Guys,
When I using a VPN connection on my system, Glasswire Software Mesure It’s as Double Data Transfer.
Once for all applications and services that using my network.
and Once for VPN Connection.

e.g: I connected to a VPN server and then download 2 GB with my Download manager
after that, Glasswitre Measure 4 GB! 2 GB for my Download Manager and 2 GB for VPN Connection!

Actually, It’s only 2GB Data Transfer using my download manager, via VPN Connection.
But Glasswire, measure that separate for each one.

1 Like

Thank you for reporting this problem. Can you give us details about what VPN software you are using so we can test and reproduce this bug so we can fix it?

We use a VPN also and we have not experienced this, plus a lot of our users use VPNs also. Thanks!

1 Like

Hi, Ken.
At first, I reset the glasswire, then I did this:
As you see, I had download30 MB using my download manager (IDM) Via my VPN Solution

The red Boxes, shows whats exactly i downloaded (only 30 MB)
But the green boxes, shows my VPN Data Transfer seperately.
Also, the purple box, Is the total amount for both of them! and as the glasswire says, it’s my total data transfer!

Is it possible that the VPN software isn’t working properly and you’re actually downloading the data twice, once with your VPN and once with your actual IP? I’ll report this to the dev team, thanks!

1 Like

Like most VPN software, SoftEther implements a Virtual Network Adapter talking to the physical adapter. The SoftEther VPN app usage count likely represents the total physical network adapter usage, while the remainder is likely usage of the virtual. Haven’t been here long but appears there have been requests for the ability to limit monitoring to a specific nework adapter for that very reason. I’d noticed it also when using VPN in the past but simply made the mental adjustment.

Good product by the way… has allowed me to identify and trim a lot of unwanted (and unnecessary) data usage, which is crucial to those of us having to rely on very limited satellite internet data plans.

P.S. The only thing you could do to make life easier for satellite internet users is to allow specifying a time frame for monitoring (or turning on/off incognito) - many satellite internet users have “free zones” where data is not counted against our monthly data caps.

2 Likes

We investigated this report and we found that GlassWire counts the traffic for the application
and then this traffic is packed again by the VPN software that sends the data again to the VPN server. That’s why the traffic is doubled, and this doubling of traffic is technically correct.

1 Like

Thanks, Servo…
But,you say packed(Sent) again? in the same time?
I have This problem in both download and upload Graph in Glasswire. It means i downloading data twice?
I try it again using windows bulit in VPN(L2TP Connection), and this problem persists.
That is the Glasswire says:

1. I downloaded about 40 MB using system(Windows Built In VPN) Via My VPN Host
  2. I downloaded about 40 MB using IDM, Directry from It’s primitive Host(Not Incoming from VPN Host)!
    Totally I had download 80 MB!

This problem still persists when i watching movie online, surfing the web and etc… .

Sorry if I don’t understand what you’re saying.

In VPNs your IP packet is encapsulated inside another IP packet which is sent to the VPN server. Unfortunately this causes VPN services to use more data than you one normally. Does that make sense, or am I misunderstanding your post?

Sorry for any confusion.

1 Like

No problem.
Look, you say when I connected to any type of VPN Services, My Traffic Usage will be higher than normal. right?
Let me tell you one scenario:
My Physical ADSL Line Bandwidth is 2300 Kb/s (Yeah 2 Mb :confused:, Average in my country is 3.5 Mb)
within 2 hours, Theoretically, I can download about 2GB (Max)
This amount is fixed because of my physical bandwidth.
But Glasswire Says I downloaded 4GB during 2 hours.
This is impossible!

OK, I get it now. Let me discuss this more with our dev team.

1 Like

@CYBEREH You are correct, the data is being counted twice with the VPN software you use. We are working on adding the ability to add/remove network adapters and this will solve the problem.

1 Like

Just wanted to say that I see “traffic doubling” when I’m using my VPN (Private Internet Access) as well…

2 Likes

download free psiphon app for android mobile from apk advisor

I have PIA as my VPN does that mean that as of today Glasswire’s total use numbers are inflated by close to 50% or that the PIA VPN really does double the bandwith cost if you decide to use the VPN?

@Edward_F_De_Varona

I think all VPNs use more data due to added encryption. It’s nothing wrong with PIA specifically.