Error 500's until Glasswire is uninstalled

Every page displays an error 5XX until Glasswire is uninstalled.

I uninstall, reboot, and everything is good for a while. I reinstall Glasswire (because I like the service and I paid for it), and the problem returns.

When the issue occurs, I have a valid IP, I can ping my DNS, and no firewalls are enabled but any page I attempt to connect to returns an error 5XX.

When this occurs, my Plex server (on the same system) connects just fine. Anydesk works just fine. Chrome or Firefox though, error 503 until I uninstall Glasswire.

Any thoughts as to why Glasswire would cause this behavior?

@vale

When you say “every page” do you mean every web page from your browser? I have never heard of this before.

Some guesses:

1. Does your ISP require some kind of app to connect to their network, and has GlassWire blocked that app? Just guessing…

2. Do you use a VPN or some type of proxy to connect to the Internet? GlassWire should work fine with a VPN though. But perhaps an app is blocked that could cause this?

No VPN required. I’ll reinstall tonight.

it usually takes about two days before I exhibit the same symptoms.

@vale

If you are going to go to the trouble of a reinstall please also do the following:

1. Be sure you remove GlassWire in add/remove programs only. Don’t use a third party uninstaller or it can leave our driver and cause a lot of issues.

2. Immediately after uninstalling go to your Windows Firewall control panel in Windows and choose “restore defaults”.

3. Reboot your PC - Very important to make sure our driver is gone.

4. Now reinstall GlassWire with all the check boxes check as you have in your screenshot.

I do customer support here, and often for our email helpdesk and I have never heard of this. GlassWire uses the Windows Firewall API to block so it should not have any ability to cause strange errors with browsers. We don’t interface with browsers at all outside the Windows Firewall API.

I worry this is some type of adware or malware and I recommend doing a full system scan with an antivirus.

The HyperText Transfer Protocol (HTTP) 500 Internal Server Error server error response code indicates that the server encountered an unexpected condition that prevented it from fulfilling the request. This error response is a generic “catch-all” response.

This May Help,
Peter