Firewall "ask to connect" mode not working

I purchased a lifetime Elite subscription to enable features such as the firewall ask-to-connect mode but I’ve noticed that the popup to allow a new app connecting to the internet doesn’t show up after some time. In this state GlassWire denies internet access to new apps and won’t even show it in the list of apps controlled by the firewall. Changing the firewall mode to “click to block” and then setting it back to “ask to connect” fixes this, but after a short while the popup stops showing up again. This happens on both my laptop running Windows 7 and my desktop running Server 2008 R2.

@jim45
Some questions are below that will help me solve this:

Do you use any other third party security software on those computers?

If you check your GlassWire top left “About” box does it show you are still a paid user?

“Ask to connect” appears for first new connections, not for every time an app accesses the network. You probably realize this, but I’m just double checking in case there is a misunderstanding.

If you run Windows Update on both PCs does it solve it?

Do you use any other applications that change the Windows Firewall?

The only other security software I use is Microsoft Security Essentials on the laptop. My desktop is not running any antivirus software.

The GlassWire about box on both PCs show that I have an active Elite subscription.

I am fully aware that the intended mode of operation for “ask to connect” is to show the popup for an app the first time it tries to access the internet.

Both PCs have the latest updates installed.

I don’t have any other applications that modify Windows Firewall.

@jim45

In this case I recommend you uninstall GlassWire in add/remove programs, then go to your Windows Firewall control panel and choose “restore defaults”. Now reinstall GlassWire using its “clean install” option with its installer. This will cause you to lose your settings/history but it should solve the problem permanently.

I uninstalled and reinstalled and it appears that the firewall is working as intended. I’ll wait a few days and see if that’s still the case.

1 Like