I don’t remember whether this option was enabled by default, to be honest. The exact steps I took were:
- Uninstall 1.2.1 (no 3rd party uninstallers).
- install 2.0 without cleaning data (wanted to maintain the app’s history).
- Choosing to start GW 2.0 at the end of the setup wizard, at which point I got the wlanapi.dll error.
- Added the WLAN service feature to Server 2016 to resolve this dependency.
- Restart server to finish WLAN service installation (required by feature).
GW auto-started when server restarted, and not a minute afterwards I received the first warning email. Spent a minute or so trying to figure out how to disable it, but didn’t change anything. As I said before, the latest Windows updates were applied Wednesday.
A few seconds after that, I received the second warning email from my hosting provider, and at that moment I made a snap decision to turn off GW 2 and uninstall it to prevent losing connectivity.
I realize this might be being overly technical (hence the geek part ) but I was expecting to see an option containing the word “network” in it, which was what I was visually scanning for. I also wasn’t expecting the free 7 day trial, since it’s not mentioned on the site. I know now this was mentioned in the newsletter, but I read the title, and went straight to the site to read about it.