GLASSWIRE and WATCHDOG VIOLATION

Hi,
Glasswire driver (gwdrv) create a BSOD with this error message DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION.
Here the message from WhoCrashed :slight_smile:

On Tue 24/07/2018 11:59:22 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: gwdrv.sys (gwdrv+0x424e)
Bugcheck code: 0x133 (0x0, 0x501, 0x500, 0xFFFFF8030B279378)
Error: DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\gwdrv.sys
product: GlassWire
company: SecureMix LLC
description: GlassWire Driver
Bug check description: The DPC watchdog detected a prolonged run time at an IRQL of DISPATCH_LEVEL or above. This could be caused by either a non-responding driver or non-responding hardware. This bug check can also occur because of overheated CPUs (thermal issue).
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: gwdrv.sys (GlassWire Driver, SecureMix LLC).
Google query: gwdrv.sys SecureMix LLC DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION

I am on Windows 10, which is fully updated, all my drivers are completely updated to, and also, no thermal issu (never above 50Ā°)
Thanks for your support.
Regards

@fdecourt

If you go to the top left GlassWire menu and choose ā€œAboutā€ what version does it show? Thanks.

Hi,
I have version 2.0.123

Did you get a .dmp file on your desktop after you crashed @fdecourt? If not itā€™s probably not GlassWire that caused the problem.

If you do have a .dmp please email it to https://www.glasswire.com/contact/ using a cloud service like Dropbox, etcā€¦

Not sure if I should bring up a dead post or start a new one, but Iā€™ve had this similar issue recently with the newer builds of glasswire. I would get BSODs with DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION on my surface pro 5.

The dump shows very similar to above, gwdrv.sys causing the issue. I love glasswire, but after numerous BSODs at random points (after hibernation, just working, after a fresh start, etc). i uninstalled it and have gone about 5 days so far without the DPC BSOD (or any BSOD). after usual usage.

Not sure if others are having this issue still, but I had to uninstall for my sanity. I hope maybe there is a cause or fix to get this working again.

@unreal

We very recently released an update of GlassWire. If you go to our top left menu and choose ā€œAboutā€ what version do you have?

Also, the most common reason for crashes lately is database corruptions (which is unusual) and the fix is to uninstall GlassWire, reboot, and do a ā€œclean installā€ option with our installer.

Also for anyone else, if you use Wacom be sure youā€™re using your latest Wacom drivers. We had another customer with a similar issue and he found it was related to an older Wacom driver, but this wonā€™t apply to everyone of course. I just wanted to post it just in case itā€™s helpful to someone else reading this.

Well, I could try it again. I had whatever release was in the past 3 weeks. This was a replacement Surface which Iā€™ve had since May 21, 2019. So it was a fresh DB as of then.

Regarding Wacom, thatā€™s interesting. But I donā€™t believe the Surface uses those drives. I think it has its own pen drivers. everything is up to date though.

Iā€™ll try the newest version and a fresh install again and see how it goes!

@unreal

Please email us the .dmp using a cloud service like Google Drive https://www.glasswire.com/contact/ and we can make suggestions, before you do a clean install.

If you donā€™t care about your history or settings though, it canā€™t hurt to do a clean install.

I guess windows deletes dmp files after a while. They seem to be gone. Iā€™ll try fresh and if I get another, Iā€™ll send it on by. Thank you!

@unreal

If GlassWire crashed then it will drop the .dmp to your desktop.

I got the same thing today (BlueScreen which caused my PC to reboot), with version 2.2.210 of GlassWire. I guess the problem is not fixed.

Hereā€™s the crash analysis, according to WhoCrashed:

On Tue 21/07/2020 08:46:23 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP
Bugcheck code: 0x133 (0x0, 0x501, 0x500, 0xFFFFF8064DAFA318)
Error: DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\gwdrv.sys
product: GlassWire
company: SecureMix LLC
Bug check description: The DPC watchdog detected a prolonged run time at an IRQL of DISPATCH_LEVEL or above. This could be caused by either a non-responding driver or non-responding hardware. This bug check can also occur because of overheated CPUs (thermal issue).
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: gwdrv.sys (GlassWire Driver, SecureMix LLC).
Google query: gwdrv.sys SecureMix LLC DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION

Iā€™ve uploaded the memory dump to my OneDrive and emailed the link to you. Please let me know your findings.

1 Like

@harkonnen

We will look for the files, thank you.

Well, I was assured by email that the fix for the DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION Blue Screen of Death would be in the next release. Now that the release notes are available for the new version, v2.2.241, I see that thereā€™s no explicit mention of it whatsoever. So, has it been fixed or not?

I took the time to report it and send you the large memory dump ā€“ the least you can do is properly communicate whether it has been fixed. (I trust that you wonā€™t try to say that the fix for a BSOD is considered so minor it is part of the ā€˜Miscellaneous bug fixesā€™ part of the changelog, and that you consider that to be adequate communication).

That is a generic crash name. We received many .dmp files thanks to helpful people like yourself and I believe it should be solved for you. However all machines and OS/Software combinations are different and itā€™s not yet possible to make perfect software.

Not sure what this has got to do with the point Iā€™ve just raised. Again: why is there no mention of the fix in your release notes?

@harkonnen

I wrote the release notes myself. ā€œMiscellaneous bug fixes and resource usage improvements.ā€

Iā€™m sorry the change list is not to your satisfaction. If you check previous change lists youā€™ll see they are about the same degree of detail.

The latest update had several hundred tickets so I donā€™t always list every single small fix we made. Also, weā€™ll sometimes introduce new features that have their own bugs and Iā€™m not sure itā€™s useful to show fixes there.

Thanks for your feedback. Weā€™ll consider adding more detailed change lists in the future.

1 Like

Well, after what seems like a year since I last posted, I hope itā€™s fixed. Iā€™ll be giving it a whirl. I truly miss Glasswire for its utility, but that BSOD was deadly for my workflow. Thanks for finally (hopefully!) squishing it!

2 Likes

Hi,
Just to add to this thread - i had exactly this issue, WinDbg pointed to gwdrv.sys as the issue however i found that the actual cause was a slightly out of date version of the Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows that triggered the DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION when it attempted to do a backup.

I found it by chance when i investigated the crash and noticed that the agent hadnā€™t backed up the laptop it was installed on in a while, so i started it manually, and boom DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION.

I updated to the latest version, ran a manual backup and it went through no issue.

So as has been mentioned, it may not be Glasswire that is the root cause of the issue.

2 Likes

Thanks @TheBR.

Often when checking .dmp files with these types of crashes weā€™ll find itā€™s due to a third party software issue outside our control.

Updating all your software is always a great idea if anyone runs into this type of issue. Thanks for posting about your experience and Iā€™m glad GlassWire is working for you now.

Hi, I reup this thread, because it is happening again :

Glaswwire Version : 2.2.304
It is happening when I am using PowerBi Desktop from Microsoft, latest version. To be able to use PowerBI, I have to uninstall Glasswire, which is not very convenient ! The same thing happen on two different computer, always when using PowerBI.

Crash dump directories:
XX\Windows
XX\Windows\Minidump

On Wed 26/05/2021 14:02:32 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: XX\Windows\Minidump\052621-10156-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: [ntoskrnl.exe]
Bugcheck code: 0x133 (0x0, 0x501, 0x500, 0xFFFFF806344FA320)
Error: [DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION]
file path: XX\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: [MicrosoftĀ® WindowsĀ® Operating System]
company: [Microsoft Corporation]
description: NT Kernel & System
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Wed 26/05/2021 14:02:32 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: XX\Windows\MEMORY.DMP
Bugcheck code: 0x133 (0x0, 0x501, 0x500, 0xFFFFF806344FA320)
Error: [DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION]
file path: XXWindows\system32\drivers\gwdrv.sys
product: [GlassWire]
company: [SecureMix LLC])
Google query: [gwdrv.sys SecureMix LLC DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION]

Thanks