Glasswire app - no autostart, data usage value not same as Android value

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 9 running Android 10. I installed the Glasswire Data Usage Monitor app [version 3.0.354r] from Google Play and have been using it for quite some time. Every once in awhile I will restart my phone and the Glasswire app will not autostart, so I have to manually open the app. Is this a blip, or is there a setting on my phone that could be causing this issue? I also recently received a notification from my phone provider that I had reached my data limit (30 gigs). But Glasswire shows 24.3 gigs, and the data usage tracker in Android shows 26.2 gigs. Any ideas why all the values are not the same? Does it have something to do with the app not loading at startup? I live in rural Alaska and our data plans are very expensive, so I am hoping to figure out why the app’s value conflicts with my provider’s value.

I appreciate any help you can give. I have seen other posts in the forum and Glasswire’s responses always seem honest… I very much appreciate a response of “sorry, its a bug and we haven’t been able to fix it yet, really trying to, give us a couple weeks” instead of the generic response of “factory reset your phone, that will fix it!” I own the PC version of the Glasswire software and I must say it is one of my favorite apps. I am going to purchase the full app for my phone, but when I went to purchase it a bit ago I noticed the app didn’t load after my last restart, so I wanted to be proactive with solving the issue first.

Thanks for any help you can give!

@Dredwick Sorry for the problem.

About GlassWire not auto-starting. This is completely controlled by the Android OS. We’ve done everything we can, but some phones still kill background apps to “help” your phone. Details on some things you can do to solve this for Samsung phones are available here.

It’s interesting that your phone shows a different data usage amount than GlassWire. We actually use an API that reads the data usage from your phone, so the data usage should match up exactly. Is it possible we lost our permissions somehow? If so it could cause this discrepancy if we could no longer access this API. To solve it you could uninstall the app, restart your phone, then reinstall GlassWire and accept all required permissions.

GlassWire should count perfectly even if it’s killed due to the API we use. You just need to start the app again.

I’d recommend making the changes suggested at https://dontkillmyapp.com/samsung and see if that fixes it. Also, please be sure you’re using a GlassWire data plan and not just our default stats to track. It will be more accurate and you’ll get an alert.
https://www.glasswire.com/android-help/#glasswire-data-plan

Thank you for your swift help. I uninstalled, restarted, reinstalled, then adjusted all the settings for the app and the Android “kill my app” settings. I also paid for the premium version. I will keep an eye throughout the month to see if the GlassWire app conflicts with what Android reports (and what my phone carrier reports). Thanks again for your help… love me some GlassWire!

2 Likes

Thank you for purchasing our premium Android app!